Powered by Blogger.

Google, My Trip Planner

The Green, Guilford, CT
 
Usually I'm a planner, especially when I travel. When I'm in a place for a short period of time I want to make the most of it and I enjoy researching places to visit and eat. I think I spent two hours looking for the best fish and chips in Dublin during my recent trip, and yes, I found some very good places. 
 
But I do a lot less research when I'm visiting familiar places, and Connecticut, where I grew up, is definitely familiar. On the spur of the moment I met my friend, Lonni, for a day at the Connecticut shore. Our custom is to search out the "best" lobster rolls in Connecticut. Instead of our usual research, we were quite casual and took the recommendation of one of her friends. The fish was very good -- my pick was clams this time -- and we stayed in New Haven and avoided the Saturday beach traffic. After lunch we had an entire afternoon and no set plans, not our norm. But we decided to get ice cream and turned to Google. Best ice cream of Connecticut led us to the extraordinary Ashley's. 
 
  So many flavors and so little time! Nutella chip and whipped cream over a layer of
grapenut ice cream, a New England favorite
 
Ashley's has several location, but we opted for Guilford and the opportunity to explore an unfamiliar town. Thanks, Google, for leading us to this citadel of fabulous homemade ice cream. We splurged with waffle cones and two scoops in an early celebration of my birthday next week. I was delighted to find grapenut ice cream, a quirky New England specialty that is made with grapenut cereal. The only other place I've seen it is in Maine and we were both happy to see it here. Ashley's has been voted best ice cream in New Haven and best ice cream in Connecticut. There are at least 40 other flavors to sample, so I anticipate many return visits.  
 
Guilford, situated on Long Island Sound, is as lovely a New England town as one could hope to find. It was named for Guildford, England, south of London, where its first settlers came from in 1639. It includes five historic house museums, which we will explore on another visit. We walked around the green, savored the architecture and browsed the shop windows. It was laid back, leisurely and a perfectly lovely afternoon.  
 
  Geraniums, topiary and flags for the Fourth of July!
 
I also discovered the most intriguing shed. No reason for a backyard shed to be dull.
 
The last stop of the day was at Evergreen Fine Crafts, on the Green. If I wasn't deep in the midst of deaccessioning -- sounds better than decluttering -- I could pretty much have bought half of the contents of the store. It's another definite return before Christmas.
 

Lots of fun and useful goodies here!
 
I so enjoyed my day in one of the loveliest of New England towns. A dear friend, great weather and homemade ice cream -- it doesn't get much better. I wish I could have brought all of Buttercupland with me.
 
It took me over a week to get back into my routine in New York City and then in a blink June is over, and July is only a few hours away. I've got a short fun trip for the Fourth of July and then it's my birthday, which always means the summer is in full swing. I'm taking this summer, like the trip to Guilford, easy. I have my Yoga and water aerobics, but I want be laid back about scheduling. I want time for the Farmer's Market and lots of iced coffee and reading books in the park. Here's to the glories of summer!
 
As ever, thanks for visiting and happy July!     

 
 

10 comments

Ginny Hartzler said...

Happy Birthday in advance! What a lovely and relaxed trip, no need to even have to research! The little shed is adorable and joyful! And I love the blue door and topiaries in front of this beautiful home. What a beautiful place you grew up in! I have always wanted to visit that part of the country, along with Maine.

NanaDiana said...

What's Up, Buttercup?! I am sure you have heard that a thousand times! Loved going along on your pre-birthday trip with you. That little shed is adorable, isn't it? I am your newest follower and putting you on my sidebar -I read from there.
Have a wonderful 4th and thank you for finding me and leaving me a comment- Hugs- Diana

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

Oh my, that ice cream cone looks wonderful! Have an easy, breezy summer, Carol, with a lot of unplanned, fun activities.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Truly Summer is a time to take it easy and enjoy every minute. Before we know it Fall will be here so we need to find time to slow down and enjoy these days while we have them. Wishing you a very relaxing July!

Chatty Crone said...

I love that shed and aqua door. That ice cream looks good - not sure those are the flavors I would have chosen. I am glad you had a nice time with your friend! Happy Birthday in advance!

Ann said...

Sounds like a fun trip. That ice cream looks really good and now I want some...lol

Lonni said...

We had so much fun! I'm still thinking about Ashley's Ice Cream. We have to add Ashley's to our "lobster roll "agenda.

Laurel Wood said...

Such a delightful and interesting post. I would have loved to join you two! The ice cream sounds so different but delicious. Love the home you photographed and that shop would be great for buying Christmas presents! In advance, I'd like to wish you a very happy birthday. xo Mildred

Azka Kamil said...

awesome article.
thanks for sharing :)

Theresa said...

I love that colorful shed:) I could use that to brighten up my back yard. Enjoy your day dear friend, happy that you are back to your routine!