Powered by Blogger.

The World According to Alice Springs

When you're in Alice Springs, Australia...
 
I enjoyed virtually visiting Cairns so much yesterday, I decided to extend my "visit" to Australia with a trip today to the geographic center of the country, Alice Springs. Known as "the Alice" it's a town of 25,000 people and a great introduction to our visit to the Outback. I noted that New York City was missing from the sign above and just learned that it's 10,445 miles from where I am right now to the Alice. I knew it was a long trip and I wanted to make sure I got there when I had the opportunity.
 
 

The view from the ANZAC Hill Memorial, honoring soldiers from
Australia and New Zealand, who died in World War I
 
This was one of our stops during the visit to Alice Springs. It was also my first introduction to the magnificent clouds and sky over this area of Australia. I never grew tired of admiring the skyscape, which was beautiful and endless.
 
 
 I've been to Big Sky country in the western United States, but while beautiful, nothing compared to the skies over the Australian outback. I know there are those who will disagree with me, and I respect your opinions, but I really didn't know clouds at all until my visit to Australia.
 
Our visit to Alice Springs wouldn't be complete without a photograph of the main shopping area. K and I had a delicious lunch, bought gifts to bring home and enjoyed window shopping, too. I don't remember the temperature last year, but tomorrow -- it's already January 28 in Australia -- the high for Alice Springs is predicted for 98 degrees. Right now it's a balmy 71 degrees, but that will change quickly.
 
Am I missing Australia? Yes!
 
I think we may return to Australia a few more times this week. When I looked over my posts during and after the trip I feel as though I skipped so many interesting places that I'd really like to share. A second reason is that I'm not out taking many photographs while I'm more limited in my travels around New York City. And third, I love returning to Australia, even if it's just via my photographs.
 
Today has been a balmy (for January) day in New York. We're not close to Alice Springs low of 71, but I enjoyed my one mile walk at 47 degrees. We're looking at colder weather later in the week, so I'm making the most of sunshine and not having to wear a hat.
 
As ever, thanks for visiting and thanks for traveling to Alice Springs with me.   


5 comments

Kate said...

We’ve looked at life from both sides now. Nice post. K

Mimi said...

Always love to travel along with you. 😊

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

One thing about pictures is that we can go back and back as many times as we want. Just thinking about sunny days and warm temps makes me feel better. It may get to the mid 30's here but we are going down to the deep freeze for most of our week. Take care and enjoy the memories!

My Tata's Cottage said...

I came here a few days ago and got caught up reading all the various posts that I left without any comments.

You were blessed to travel to such an amazing country. So different than what we have here.

If I could visit one opera house in the world it would be in Sydney, Australia. Sigh...

Cold and dreary here but the sun popped out for awhile today. Made me smile. But winter is what it is and so I am grateful living somewhere with the four seasons. PLus we need the snow so it all makes me grateful to stay indoors and drink tea or coffee.

Have a beautiful week.

HUGS and LOVE

TARYTERRE said...

pictures make wonderful memories.