Powered by Blogger.

Farewell, Aretha Franklin


The magnificent, Queen of Soul, Aretha Franklin, is now of blessed memory.
 
I knew that this week might sadly be her last days, but when the news flashed across the screen of my phone, I was nonetheless filled with sorrow. Her music had been part of my life for over fifty years, Whether I heard her in the house I grew up in, car radios, dorm rooms or perhaps at my Senior prom, when her notes filled the air my attention went to the music and only to the music. 
 
When I was thinking about this post I went to the Aretha Franklin song I listened to the most over the years, I Say a Little Prayer. I knew it first in the Dionne Warwick rendition and I'm sure I wore out the 45 record I owned. No worry, soon Aretha would record it in a memorable and extraordinary rendition. Thanks, beloved, Queen of Soul, for every note you sang and many, many sweet memories.


On a very different note -- please excuse the lopsided picture -- we have the winner of the BlogHer totebag giveaway. It's number one comment, Nicole Holt. Thanks to all who entered and I raise a glass of my favorite summer (and winter) beverage, iced coffee.

As ever, thanks for visiting and wishes for a sunny weekend.
 

8 comments

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

I was thinking today when I heard the news, that I had almost 55 her music has been in the background of my life. She was an extraordinary talent.

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

That should ‘that at almost 55 years of age’

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

She was and always will be one of the greatest.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

She leaves behind her a great legacy for sure. I'm sure in some way, her beautiful voice has touched us all. Hope you have a fantastic Friday !

Chatty Crone said...

I watched a special on her last night - I didn't realize all the things she had done - she was a special woman for sure. sandie

Kerin said...

All the good ones are gone, or on their way out, sadly.
She left us with some amazing music.

~K.

Mevely317 said...

Another chunk of my youth gone on ahead. RIP, dear lady.
Congrats to Nicole!

Susie said...

Carol, I have loved Aretha since I was a youngster. She had a beautiful recognizable voice. You could hear her on the radio and knew it was her. I will miss her.
Congrats to your winner Nicole. Blessings to all, xoxo, Susie