Powered by Blogger.

Welcome to Avebury

 
Welcome to Avebury, Wiltshire, England
 
I was going through my pictures of England this afternoon and was struck by how much I saw during my eight day visit. I had the best guide in my friend, Sybil, who lives in Wiltshire and her friends, Mary, Val and Peter. No one could have had better companions. It's unlikely I could have seen more -- or had a better time -- traveling in any other manner. There are probably another ten blog posts to share, and I will do more posts in the future. But for my last post of July we're going to beautiful Avebury Manor. 
 
One of the most popular sites in England is Stonehenge. But Avebury, which is located about an hour away is equally fascinating. It is the largest Neolithic stone circle in the world, and a fascinating place to visit. I visited Stonehenge four years ago. It was a sea of tour buses and people snapping selfies. This was not the case at Avebury. My friend, Val, and I shared the site with maybe a half dozen other visitors. It was an extraordinary experience.
 
One of the circles of stones at Avebury Henge.
 It's believed that rituals or ceremonies were held here at least five thousand years ago.  
 
The garden at Avebury Manor
 
Avebury Manor House is a sixteenth century manor house located next to the Henge. Unlike most of the house that visitors can tour, everything in Avebury Manor can be touched. Yes, they are reproductions, but it was so much fun to feel the wool on the "redcoat" and pick up the china. The house was featured in a BBC series, The Manor Reborn in 2011.  
 
Church of St. James, Avebury
 
I'm a fan of sacred architecture and the Church of Saint James, Avebury was one of my favorite sites on this trip. The Church is approximately 1,000 years old and dates to the Saxon period. 
 
I began July leaving for England and now I'm ending July with memories of this wonderful trip. August holds no long distance travel plans, but I'm anticipating a trip or two to New England next month. What are your August plans?
 
As ever, thanks for visiting and wishes for a sweet August!

 

9 comments

Chatty Crone said...

Goodness - it amazes me the contrast on how old the structures are in England and ho appreciated and here - when it gets to old we tear it down.
That was gorgeous.
sandie

Sybil said...

That is a lovely photograph of the garden at Avebury Manor, We so enjoyed your visit and can't wait till the next time. There is so much more to see all within a day trip and if we could go stay somewhere overnight a night or two....well....we could see many many more exciting places. I am very lucky to live here where I am surrounded by so much history......Come again soon. Xxxx

Anonymous said...

That photo of the house and the lavender path is stunning, Carol. I can still hear the hum of the bees, and recall the feel of the warm ancient stones beneath our touch. Next time you come we MUST their Museum ( and the secondhand bookshop )!
We are soon going back to Avebury to view a sculpture display in the gardens....I'll be thinking of you xxx

Linda said...

Beautiful. Hope you have a lovely day, friend. smiles

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I love seeing the pictures of your trip. Keep them coming. It's hard to believe how things have withstood the test of time and still offer so much beauty to see. August is a lazy summer month for me. Just trying to soak in all the beauty of the green. Green leaves, green grass and blooming g flowers everywhere you look. Too soon the leaves will turn and fall and every thing will look quite bleak until Spring comes again.

TARYTERRE said...

lovely for sure.

Theresa said...

Beautiful scenes from your trip, thanks for sharing! I may never see those sights except thru your eyes! Have a blessed day dear Carol, HUGS!

Kerin said...

Wow! Such a beautiful place, and I love the history and the patina that the stone buildings have developed over time.

Looks like a gorgeous trip, and I'm so happy for you to have had such a nice time.

Have a happy day.
~K.

Pam said...

This would be a great place to visit! It looks gorgeous, thanks for sharing!