Powered by Blogger.

Show Us Your Mug Pink Saturday

A gift from a sweet blogger friend, Taryterre.
 
During, what I hope will be, the last snowstorm of the 2018 winter season I posted a photograph of the mug I was using for coffee in a Facebook group I belong to. It was nothing especially profound, but it was a fun way to say hello on a sleety morning. I also think it's a fun way to say hello on a sunny day and to share my affection for mugs as part of  Pink Saturday
 
We all know that I like coffee -- an understatement -- but my favorite way to drink coffee is in a big mug. I'm not much of a cup fan and realized about ten years ago that I never used the cups and saucers that I had. Since kitchen real estate space is very valuable in my teeny tiny New York kitchen, I donated my cups and saucers and cleared an area for mugs. It was a great decluttering decision and I've never looked back. I firmly intend not to acquire any new mugs, but somehow they have a way of coming by and staying. 
 
I'm going to share a few of my favorites. It's a big collection, but these few are among the most used. They know how to make their way to the front of the shelf.
 
 
I think this pattern will always be among my most favorite. Dear friends gave me six mugs, a creamer and miniature sugar bowl when I moved from Nashville to New York in 1975. I love the turquoise inside glaze and the delicate dogwood blossom. It reminds me of good times spent in East Tennesse where the Pigeon Forge Pottery is made. Miraculously, not one piece has been broken or even chipped in forty plus years. 
 
    
This glazed lemon mug captures a moment in a visit to the Amalfi Coast in Southern Italy. I was carried away at a pottery shop in Ravello and ordered mugs, bowls and a salad bowl. It was a somewhat extravagant gesture -- especially the shipping -- but I use them often, especially the salad bowl. The bowl is chipped along the edge, but when I look at it I see the words, "Well loved and well used." A friend suggested that I put the bowl away for safekeeping, but I'd rather use it, chip it and enjoy it every day. 
 
  
This is the mug I'm using this morning. It was a gift from blogger friends who no longer blog. Happily we've kept in touch through the years and I will have the good fortune to see Trish this week. Trish and Sheilagh, think of you often!
 
I hope you've had fun going through my cabinet with me. What's your favorite mug?
 
It's a sunny day in New York City and I'm going out to do photographs for the A to Z Blogging Challenge. I've got a number of photographs done, but I'm using this afternoon to get the pictures for A and know I'll be ready to start the Challenge next Sunday. 
 
As ever, thanks for visiting and have a great Sunday! 
     

6 comments

ScrappyShe said...

I’m delighted to see you are using the mug. I remember the day Ralph and I bought it in St Andrews Scotland.
I will be thinking of you and Trish on Tuesda, wishing I was there..
I often think about taking up blogging again, I will always drop into see what you are up to.

Love and hugs

Sheilagh xxx

Anonymous said...

I love your mugs and I love when folks share things that they enjoy using!
About 2 years ago, I went on a search for a small coffee cup that is made in the USA. The only I could find were Corelle, and I found about 4 like new ones at thrift stores. I like a thin lip to the cup and these are perfect!

TARYTERRE said...

nice to know you use your mug. all of them are sweet. i have too many to pick a favorite.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I like big mugs too and it was fun seeing some of your favorites. I have seasonal mugs and everyday mugs. Right now I am using one with a chick on it for Spring. We are going to have a sunny day here today and it's going to be warmer too. Hope you have some Spring weather there too.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love the glazed lemon mug best! And I like to change my mug out pretty often. It's feels good! Enjoy your week.

Melinda said...

I too love big mugs especially for hot chocolate!

You are on it for the challenge. I signed up and have my theme
and some ideas but right now that is about it. Will work
mor3 on it this week.

M : )