Powered by Blogger.

There's No Shopping Like Window Shopping -- A Visit to Cartier


The jeweler, Cartier, dressed up in holiday finery, including
 the symbol of the house, the panther, all aglow. 
 
One of my favorite pastimes is window shopping. I love to see the displays especially at this time of year. Whether it's just browsing the neighborhood drugstore -- where I'm looking to see what's on sale -- or enjoying the elegance of the windows on Fifth Avenue and knowing that almost everything I see is just for looking.  


Today's window shopping took me to Fifth Avenue. It was a cold, cold day and I didn't do half as much as I hoped to, but I had a great time at the Maison Cartier.  It was definitely a just for looking day, but I so enjoyed the beautiful and very clever displays. I love to look at jewelry, but I wear very little -- watch and earrings mostly -- so I had no temptation to go into the store and see what the treasures in the window cost.  


 
 


I'm feeling significantly better, but the virus/cold I had last week -- maybe even a light case of the flu -- knocked the wind out of me. I had a long list of places to visit this season, but Cartier may be the last one I get to. I had tentatively scheduled a visit to the Metropolitan Museum to see the Christmas tree tomorrow. But I met one of my neighbors in our lobby tonight who related her experience today waiting 40 minutes just to get inside the museum. Since the high temperature is expected to be nineteen without the wind chill I am taking this excursion off my list and staying closer to home. I think it's a day to catch up on my New Yorker magazines, drink tea, make applesauce and blog. What are your plans for these chilly days?

As ever, thanks for visiting. Bundle up, keep warm and take good care!

 

10 comments

Terra said...

Thanks for showing us those windows of beauty and simplicity. Be well.

TARYTERRE said...

The windows are lovely. i think staying warm is important following the cold you had.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed the window displays. I'm sorry you've been sick and the frigid temps don't help, I am sure. Sipping hot tea, enjoying a magazine, and making applesauce sounds like a good plan. We have the next few days free of appointments and are staying close to home also. Take care and many blessings to you in the new year.

Denise said...

I've only been in NYC once at Christmas. It was magical. It is bitterly cold here in Michigan so I too will be staying indoors.

Linda said...

Its negative whatever here in western NY...it is winter after all.

Cartier-now your speaking my language, giggling. Beautiful, Carol, beautiful. I'm glad you are feeling better...this flu bug is going around here too.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

A good day to stay in an keep warm for sure, we are somewhat colder than you are. Here I'm trying to do the after Christmas clean up. That will keep me busy and warm too. Stay in and keep warm! I'm going to do the same.

Theresa said...

I wanted to come up this year but it just didn't happen. Several family members are there now and it looks like they are freezing in every picture. Stay warm dear friend. Happy that you are on the mend. Hugs

Mevely317 said...

Their displays are so understated and elegant! I, too, prefer wearing little jewelry ... the simpler the better.

Praying you realize a fast recovery! We've had but one day below 60-degrees; I'm trying not to feel cheated. LOL!

Susie said...

Carol, Thank you for taking us window shopping with you. Oh these frigid temps are not to be out in for long. I am ready for a warm up. I spent many years buying nice jewelry...ended up giving the good stuff to my girls and I wear some cheap pieces. It just doesn't seem to mean the same once I stopped working and could no longer wearing pretty shoes...which also cuts back on wearing pretty clothes. But I do love blue jeans, a white shirt, and gold pieces. Blessings to you, please stay warm. Wishing you a beautiful new year filled with good health and lots of happiness. xoxo, Susie

Anonymous said...

I know I have already commented on this post, but just in the last few days, my 40 yr old niece has shared with me that she is preparing for a big event in which a fancy dress and jewelry are needed. Wish I was able to go along and shop with her. I don't wear much jewelry, but I sure enjoy looking at it! lol