Powered by Blogger.

Autumn for the Save


I can't say that I've been perky this week. Actually, I've been as sad as I can remember. Yes, I've prayed, I've walked, I've eaten healthy foods, done good deeds and reached out to friends -- all the things one is advised to do to overcome sadness. But to little effectiveness. Until this afternoon.

I stopped into TJMaxx for a rest stop before grocery shopping and found the autumn décor displayed. It's still summer and I'm not one to push the seasons, but I dived headfirst into autumn and Halloween. The folks at TJMaxx were very nice and no one reprimanded me for rearranging the displays. I moved pumpkins, I moved signs and I spent time creating arrangements that made me smile. I think we all need a smile and if I need to rush head long into autumn, I'm going to autumn.

I loved this Halloween display. I spent most of my time at this table moving the owl around. I am tempted to go back to the store and bring the owl home with me, but I resisted today. I think the owl looks best surrounded by all the Halloween decorations and I don't have space recreate this tableau in my teeny tiny apartment.

 
This is not a great picture, but I couldn't resist this tablecloth showcasing dogs in Halloween attire. It's for a 70" round table, if anyone else can't resist it. 

I then moved on to Whole Foods, where it was full autumn. First I saw the mums...

...Then I came to the Halloween jack-o-lanterns. It's too early to buy a pumpkin, but pumpkins always make me smile. 

Finally, the first McIntosh apples of this season. These were the apples I ate most often when I was growing up. As a side note, I just googled them to get the correct spelling and found that they are the national apple of Canada.
 
I'm not forgetting the sorrow all around us -- or those afflicted -- but I'm going to find things that make me smile and I hope, will give you smiles, too. Here's to apples and pumpkins and autumn!
 
As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care -- especially citizens of Buttercupland in Florida.   
 

14 comments

Barbara F. said...

I loved this post. I feel like you do. Autum is getting me through.

Joy Nissen said...

Thank you for sharing that!

TARYTERRE said...

What a wonderful post. autumn cheers me up too. love that plaid owl.

Theresa said...

Apples, pumpkins and mums make me happy:) We all have times of sadness, finding the way to happiness sometimes takes a little time and work! Cheering you on my friend, sending HUGS and PRAYERS your way!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures of some of my favorite things. Yes, it's important to smile even in the midst of sorrow. I love the tablecloth (I see a dachshund in a pumpkin costume which reminds me of our late little Harriet). I continue to pray for so many who are affected by tragedy.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Yes, we all need things that make us smile and make us happy right now. Thanks for sharing your happiness. Fall is a beautiful time of year and a gift we can all appreciate!

Chatty Crone said...

I liked this post - it did lift my spirits and I too know of the devastation going on. I am praying. Love the owl.

Ruth said...

hallo carol,


I'm sorry you're sad. but I'm glad you found something that makes you smile. I was also strolling today, looking for a few small porcelain pumpkins and I found Christmas decoration. I also had to laugh about that. nice if you can enjoy small things.

have a nice weekend.

greetings from Germany

Ruth

I learned english at school many years ago, but I forgot a lot or most of it, so I used google tranlator, sorry, I hope, that it´s not that terrible ;)

Susie said...

Buttercup, I know we can get apples all year long....but seeing lots more of them make me think autumn. I am sorry to read you were feeling sad....some times I get this way too. I do the walking, busy work and praying...some times it helps and others it doesn't ...but we have to go on. The state of our country and dangers of the world bother me too. I just have to keep praying for everyone. Blessings to you my friend, xoxo, Susie

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

This is a lovely post and brightened my day! I love autumn and the pumpkins and apples.

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

Its so easy to get weighed down by all the troubles going on in our country right now.

I'm glad you were able to be cheered by seeing the autumn decor and other things at the stores! They always cheer me, too!

BJ PUP said...

Time is moving too quickly. It's early September and there's Halloween candy all over.

I do love the colors.

Grammy Staffy said...

Good idea... beautiful fall pics.. hugs

Paula said...

I love that owl. And I love how you do some in-store decorating!! Happy Fall