Powered by Blogger.

Queens: Afternoon in Astoria

 
Always time for coffee

One of my favorite pastimes is exploring New York City and one of my favorite neighborhoods is Astoria, Queens. Astoria was named for John Jacob Astor and remains a relatively low rise neighborhood of families and local stores. It's just a few subway stops from Manhattan, but a world away. On a sunny afternoon I like to take the train and ride to one of the stops on the N or W lines, and then I just start walking. There are good restaurants -- some of the best Greek food in New York City -- and interesting food stores.  


Last fall during one of my walks I discovered Leli's at 35-14 30th Avenue. The food is Maltese -- delicious -- and the service is friendly. My savory cheese pastry and coffee warmed me up on a cold autumn afternoon.   

It's always coffee o'clock for me!

 

I'm a total window shopper and I love the store windows of Astoria. The window above may be one of the last remaining hobby shops -- long may it live! -- and I spend a long time looking at the statues in the store window below.


A visit to the Museum of the Moving Image is a great activity while you're visiting Astoria. Its focus is film, television and digital imagery and it is a fascinating place to visit. There are many special events and programs, and it's a good idea to check the calendar when you're making your plans to visit New York. I was looking at the website while I was doing this post and found an event with Martin Scorsese scheduled for tomorrow afternoon. I think that's where I will be spending part of tomorrow.
 
I've enjoyed our visit to Queens as part of the Blogging from A to Z Challenge.  Next stop is Rockefeller Center.
 
As ever, take care and have a great Sunday! 

6 comments

Barbara In Caneyhead said...

You make it sound lovely and inviting! I remember Mama saying "don't go thinking you are Miss Astor".
Perspectives at Life & Faith in Caneyhead

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

The cheese pastry and coffee look wonderful. How nice you have such a variety of places to window shop too. Happy Sunday !

Theresa said...

Coffee and window shopping in your beautiful city, perfect way to spend the day! Have a wonderfully blessed day dear friend, HUGS!

Karen said...

I am enjoying the tour so much! My son was visiting in Queens this past week.

TARYTERRE said...

all the places you come in contact with have such character. and interesting history.

Kerin said...

Carol, thanks so much for this lovely 'tour'! You know how much I have loved seeing New York through your eyes!!
The cheese pastry looks delish... I think I'd like one of those ~~yum!

I've been MIA for so long. I did a post explaining a bit about my absence. Big news at our place :)
Looking forward to reading your posts, and taking this virtual tour with you.

{{hugs}}
~K.