Powered by Blogger.

Kobrick: It's Coffee Time


First stop in our West Side day: Kobrick for coffee

We're spending today on the far west side of Manhattan (the Hudson River side of town). We're starting our day with an excellent cup of coffee at Kobrick, located at 24 Ninth Avenue. Last April I spent the month drinking coffee and writing about coffee and Kobrick was one of my favorites. Nearing its hundredth anniversary it serves locally roasted coffee. There is a very pleasant outdoors area, perfect for watching the goings on in the neighborhood. We need some energy because we're spending the morning walking the High Line.
 
The cobblestone street in the Meatpacking District, which includes Kobrick and the High Line. Not so long ago this neighborhood was the wholesale meat district of New York. Now it's home to trendy restaurants and stores.
 
We may want to stop at one of my favorite places, Chelsea Market, a wonderful space of food sellers and restaurants for a snack. Perhaps we'll save it for a treat after our visit to the High Line.  

Welcome to the High Line.
 

When I was putting together this year's list of posts for the A to Z Blogging Challenge, I thought I'd included just about every popular place for visitors to New York. I'm sure there will be any number of places that I will omit, but I would be completely remiss to leave out the High Line. I've been meaning to write about it since a visit last summer and it kept getting postponed. But the High Line is top of the list for many visitors to New York City. It is very popular and gets very crowded, so I highly suggest you get there early in the day.

The High Line is approximately a mile and a half aerial greenway, i.e., an elevated park. An abandoned elevated section of New York Central Railroad track was converted to a beautiful walkway of greenery and art. 
 
A sample of midsummer lushness on the High Line.
 
Visitors can walk a small section or the entire length. It's easy walking and there are seating areas along the entire length. There are also elevators to provide access. I highly recommend a visit, perhaps with a delicious cup of coffee from Kobrick or a snack from Chelsea Market.   

 I hope everyone had a wonderful Easter celebration. It was lovely in New York, though the weather was closer to summer than Easter time.

As ever, thanks for visiting and have a great week. Please join us as we continue to explore New York City.  

3 comments

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

My lifelong friend from New York has told me about the High Line. It is nice to see it in your post.

Pam said...

Very interesting, always lots going on there! Nothing beats a great cup of coffee! I've heard of the High Line and can imagine it would be a fun place to visit! Thanks for the info!

TARYTERRE said...

That market in High Line looks like a wonderful place to visit. You are lucky to be so close to so many fabulous places.