Powered by Blogger.

A Stroll on Ninth Avenue And a Slice

 
Wondee Thai Restaurant

I often get asked "Where should I go to eat?" One of my favorite areas when I'm not sure what I'd like to eat and want a selection of relatively inexpensive restaurants is Ninth Avenue from Fifty Ninth Street to Forty Second Street. There are at least a hundred restaurants in the seventeen blocks, of every type of food imaginable. 

The Flame is the classic New York coffee shop and one of my favorites. It has an enormous menu, isn't expensive and is perfect for a hamburger or grilled cheese sandwich. I worked a block away for a number of years and have good memories of our Friday lunches at The Flame. 

Don't judge a pizza place by the exterior...
 
I didn't want to write about New York City without writing about pizza. I love pizza, but don't eat it often enough to have good recommendations, so I queried my friends on Facebook. I got many suggestions, but was most intrigued by one from my friend, Brandon. He suggested Sacco's, on Ninth Avenue at 54th Street, describing it as "official old school street pizza." I had a very good slice of pizza, with a crispy thin crust and a nice amount of broccoli. The décor is very simple, but the pizza is good.  
Looking out at Ninth Avenue from Sacco's counter
 
During my walk, I was pleased to find the dance studio for the Alvin Ailey Dance Theater, one of my favorite dance troops.

What I like most about Ninth Avenue is the ability to try different cuisines and for the most part, inexpensively. Whether it's a simple slice of pizza, a burger, Thai food, Mexican food, Greek food and food from all around the world, there's at least one, if not several, different restaurants to choose from.

It's not quite the home stretch, but getting close in the A to Z Blogging Challenge. The next post is my pick for what I would choose if I only had One Day in New York City.

As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care!
 

3 comments

Little Wandering Wren said...

Well done you Carol for your A-Z challenge, I did this last year and really enjoyed it. I have enjoyed my stroll around Ninth Avenue with you today! I'm showing up in your feed from Singapore, not Bangkok tonight in case you were wondering!
Have a fun weekend.
Wren x

TARYTERRE said...

I too enjoyed our walk. No place here to get just a slice of pizza, so that impressed me. But The Flame Restaurant sure looks good too.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Pizza ! Yum ! Always enjoy your posts !