Powered by Blogger.

Oh Fudge!

Sadly, I'm going to miss the Mackinac Island Fudge Festival in August, but from my observation every day is a fudge festival on Mackinac Island. This sweet has been the main treat for over a century for visitors to the Island, Though I'm not a particular fudge fan -- toffee is my special treat -- I made sure to become a "fudgy." The latter is the nickname for tourists to Northern Michigan and especially Mackinac. 
 
There are a number of fudge and candy stores along the main street, approximately every twenty yards. They all looked good, but I chose Joann's Fudge because they seemed to have the most sugar free varieties. There were twenty-nine kinds of fudge with sugar and four that had artificial sweetener. I limit my sugar, and artificial sugar, too, but succumbed to a small piece of chocolate walnut fudge. I enjoyed it a lot and I was glad to be counted as an official Fudgy.
 
Some of the flavors that were offered. They all looked tempting, but in the interest of wearing the same clothes when I got home, I elected not to sample the bounty of sugar and cream.

If I was really going wild, I would have gone with one of these fabulous apples.

Candy makers at work. 

The temptation was at every turn and the windows were so pretty. 
 
There are still several Mackinac posts to come -- I took a lot of pictures -- but I'm thinking of taking a quick break in the next day and sharing some New York fun I happened to come upon yesterday. A hint...It involves a Tom Hanks movie.
 
The heat has come to New York City and I was up and out early to get my exercise. Sending cool wishes to all. Take good care and thanks for visiting! 

4 comments

TARYTERRE said...

I love the Mackinac Fudge Ice Cream. So scrumptious. It's wonderful you got to see the fudge made. definitely interesting. And the smell fabulous.

Annesphamily said...

I have always wanted to go to Mackinac Island. My late brother-in-law was from the town of Ludington and his father was a chef on a riverboat. That fudge looks delightful and decadent. Your trip sounds fantastic and came by to catch on on some posts with you. Enjoy great week and weekend too. My goodness, the days are flying by. xo

Theresa said...

I can almost smell that fudge:). I would love to visit there someday:) have a blessed day dear friend. Hugs.

Mimi said...

There is such a thing as a FUDGE festival??? How wonderful does that sound? Might be just as well I live a gazillion miles away. Too far to be tempted.