Powered by Blogger.

Irises and Roses Pink Saturday...

...sort of. My plan for this week's Pink Saturday post was to share photographs of the exhibit at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, Van Gogh: Irises and Roses.  It's a small exhibit, with two paintings of irises and two paintings of roses, and I thought that would make a perfect post. Alas, no photography was permitted and this was the closest photo I could take. 
 
A distant view of one of the Iris paintings. 
 
 I did capture all four paintings -- somewhat -- at the gift shop. One of the main themes of the works was contrast and I was especially taken with both iris paintings.
 
"Van Gogh: Irises and Roses" was displayed in a section of the museum that houses the Lehman collection. The collection includes Nineteenth and Twentieth Century European paintings. I found several others to share and they even included some pink.
 I've walked through this section many times, but this is the first time I've really observed Georges Braque's "House behind Trees." I was engaged by both the composition and the color. 
 

This is one of my favorite paintings by Renoir. Though it's titled Two Girls at the Piano, I always think of them as two sisters enjoying an evening of music.
 
I was once again entranced by another Matisse depiction of a woman in a shawl.
 
The Lehman Collection architecture is extraordinary and one of my favorite places to spend time in the museum.
 
I hope you've enjoyed our return visit to the Metropolitan Museum. My visit was the high point of the weekend. I spent a lot of today decluttering and put together three bags of clothes to give away. I'm happy to say that almost all of them are too big. My first stop tomorrow morning is the Salvation Army. I thought I'd gone through my closet and drawers carefully in the past year, but there was a lot to pack up. I resolve to be very careful when I buy new clothes and choose very, very wisely. Some items I'd worn a lot, but there were a few others that had barely been off the hanger.
 
As ever, thanks for visiting and have a sweet week!


5 comments

Theresa said...

I DID enjoy my visit with you to the museum:) Have a blessed day dear friend, HUGS!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Enjoyed seeing your trip to the museum. I need to do a sorting out of my clothing once more too. I too have things in the closet that I've rarely worn. Bad choices for sure. It will be time to get out the fall things soon and when I put away the summer things, there will be a lot that goes. Hope your week is a great one!

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

I'd love to visit this museum. Our friend Denny, lived in the city for many years and keeps saying he is going to take us to the museum one day. If we do plan it, we'll have to arrange to meet up!

Deanna

Susie said...

Buttercup, Thank you for the trip to the museum.I love seeing all the wonderful art. You can take me there any time. xoxo,Susie

Sola Scriptura said...

Those paintings are amazing. I hope you're having a lovely weekend.