Powered by Blogger.

A Heart's Betrayal


I had a very happy return to Fort Laramie, Wyoming for the fourth book of Colleen Coble's set of six books, A Journey of the Heart. I enjoyed "A Heart's Betrayal" as much -- if not more -- than the previous books. We again begin in Wabash, Indiana at the end of the Civil War, but now we meet the extremely engaging Emmie Croftner. Newly widowed Emmie discovers that her late husband was already married at the time of their marriage. With this news, her life in Wabash holds little promise and she makes the brave trip to join her friend, Sarah Montgomery, in Fort Laramie, Wyoming.

The plot took several interesting twists and I especially liked the details of life in Fort Laramie and the setting in the American West in the early years of settlement. I read it during my train ride from Providence to New York -- a less exotic journey than the one Emmie took -- but it was the perfect book for a train ride and very enjoyable light fiction, with thoughts on faith and some romance included.

On a different note, I'm somewhat amazed that beginning tomorrow, the year is half over. Yes, it does seem to go faster the older I get, but the last few months disappeared like a puff of smoke. I've got lots of summer plans -- BlogHer and a trip to Maine foremost -- but any moment I will step into Michael's and there will be pumpkins. Too soon, my friends, too soon. I want to savor every moment of the long days of summer and enjoy blueberries and warm breezes before they are only memory.

I had a great visit with my cousins who were visiting from California today -- what a treat -- and am looking to a quieter day tomorrow. Weight Watchers, the gym and some grocery shopping top my list. Grateful for the big days and for the quiet days, too.

As ever thanks for visiting and have a sweet, sweet Wednesday.

Please note: I was given "A Heart's Betrayal" by The Litfuse Group for review, but the opinions are all mine.
 

9 comments

Saleslady371 said...

I've never read anything by Coleen Coble, but want to join in an online book club discussion and they're reading Rosemary Cottage. I ordered it from the library.

Sound like you are going strong this summer and very busy! So nice to read about your many activities.

Terra said...

It sounds like your summer is running along nicely, and I agree, as I age the days go by faster and faster.

Melinda said...

It is going fast, for sure!

This sounds like a story that I
need to add to my challenge books.

M :)

Mevely317 said...

This does sound like a light, refreshing read ... perfect for summer -- and not so daunting for someone who's struggled to focus for the last couple years.

You're so right about the days gaining momentum. I need to stop willing away Summer and instead, look for ways in which to appreciate its gifts. (This might take some doing, but I appreciate the challenge!)

TARYTERRE said...

How nice to have had family visiting. Sounds like the book was the perfect read for a train ride. I can not believe it is July, either.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

Time goes by fast when you are having fun and it seems like you are doing just that.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

It's true about the craft stores, I was in one this past weekend and yes, the fall decorations have started. Mostly the flowers in hues of oranges and brown but it has begun. The first half of this year has flown by, I'm trying very hard to treasure each moment.

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

It seems like that would be a light, enjoyable series to read. Perfect for summer.

The year is flying by. I'm thankful to know the One who holds all things in His hands.

Deanna

Pam said...

Not sure it's really summer as it has been so chilly and rainy. We had the heat on this morning, crazy, crazy weather! Thanks for the book review, it sounds great as I love that part of the country. Have a great rest of the summer!