Powered by Blogger.

Forever Young...Reflections on September 11, 2001



Each year I keep believing that this day will get easier, less traumatic, less sorrowful. And in some ways it has. I have learned to do things that will make it less difficult. I don't watch any videos of the events that took place that day. I take a rest from news coverage most of the day and I don't watch the entire reading of the names of those who were killed. Starting at "A" and watching for as long as I can reduces me to sobbing. It brings back the worst of the horrors of the day.

I did watch the reading this morning and today I was struck by how young those who died appeared. Almost every picture showed someone who was young and smiling. Even if they were 51, my age in 2001, they are still 51 and they will not age as the rest of us have done. They will be forever young and smiling, gone far too soon and too violently. We remain to tell their stories and to make the rest of the world remember those that died on a perfect late summer morning. We will never forget.

This is my fifth year blogging about September 11. Last year I wrote this post and it includes a link to my first post about this day written in September 2009. I worked in Lower Manhattan and our office was six blocks south of the World Trade Center. The Trade Center was one of my favorite places. I shopped in the mall in the lower level, celebrated birthdays at Windows on the World and went to concerts in the Plaza. I am happy to see the area being rebuilt, but in my memory I will always see the Twin Towers rising up in the New York sky.

We will never forget

I am linking up this post with Pink Saturday September 11. So appreciate the opportunity to share this important day with my Pink Saturday friends. Many thanks, Beverly!

11 comments

Mevely317 said...

As I mentioned to another blogger earlier, I really believed I would get through today without shedding any tears.
I was wrong.
... but in a way, I'm glad for it.

I can't begin to imagine your emotions for having been an unwilling witness to that horror. But however small the measure, I care.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

I told myself that I was not going to watch anything on 9/11 today. I did though - just the one when the President, his wife Michele, and VP Biden came out on the White House grounds . They were surrounded by family who lost lloved ones in the Pentagon. There was still much pain in the relatives faces 13 years later. I turned the TV off and played with my grandchild instead. It is and will always be a tough day for Americans.

TARYTERRE said...

We each remember in our own way. But those of you who were so close, must really struggle with the memories.

The Cranky said...

We rid ourselves of our television shortly after 9/11, but a tv isn't required for memory... as I do every year, I took some time for silence.

Silence, in memory of the silence which affected the entire country. Silence to honour those who lost, or gave, their lives and their loved ones. Silence for those forced to witness the horrors firsthand, and for whom the skies are forever a little bit darker.

Sola Scriptura said...

I find it too difficult to watch any of the tv shows about 9/11, but I spent the day thinking of all of the families and people affected by that day. My heart goes out to them.

Marie Rayner said...

Carol, I don't think anyone will ever forget that day, or at least they SHOULD never forget it. The whole world changed that day and will never be the same. I still cry when I think about it. ((((((hugs))))))

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I really couldn't watch any news yesterday at all but I did take time to say some prayers.

Ida said...

I feel much the same way. I rarely watch the video's from that day or news coverage on it as it still brings tears to my eyes.

Melinda said...

Such a tough day for all. Each of us has our own memories of that time
and they will be with us forever.
BUT for those of you working or
living so close, I'm sure this day
is much harder.

No we will not forget!

M : )

Theresa said...

It still makes my cry to relive that tragic day! I can't imagine how hard it was and IS for you all who live there! Sending HUGS and PRAYERS to you and your City!

Thank you for my sweet card and coupon:) I can't wait to try that treat!

Unknown said...

I was also thinking the same.
sports club la dc classes