Powered by Blogger.

Autumn in New York Foodie Friday

Yes, It's Foodie Friday on Saturday...

There has been some concern from my readers -- actually only one reader -- that my posts are getting sparse and my blogging days may be waning. That's not the case, but real life is getting in the way. Tonight, for the first time in four years I am actually entertaining and I've spent the last few days cleaning, decluttering, shopping and cooking. The cooking has been on the light side, but the rest has been intense. My Bible study group will be over tonight for dinner before the Selichot service. This service precedes the Jewish New Year, which starts next Wednesday. Our service is at 11:00 p.m. and we have a study session before that. I live only two blocks from our synagogue and in years past have had a dinner for the group before services. For the last three years I've been recovering from surgery, but this year, thankfully, I'm back to tradition. 

An oasis in the midst of Manhattan

I took a coffee break in the midst of my errands yesterday in one of my favorite building plazas. This tiny park is nestled between a number of apartment buildings and is a quiet place to read, have a cup of coffee or visit with a friend. It's also across the street from my gym, which is the building on the left. I had my coffee while I enjoyed looking at the mums and the waterfall. But I noticed the mums weren't the only planting that had been done for the fall. 

There was a wonderful border of pepper plants...

...and cabbages and more pepper plants. 

I've seen ornamental cabbages planted elsewhere in the city, but this is the first time I've seen them mixed with peppers. I never would have thought of it, but they look so bright and autumnal. 

On a different foodie note, I treated myself to my first pumpkin frozen yogurt of the season, and it was as good as I remembered. I've had my first pumpkin muffin, but haven't had pumpkin coffee yet. But soon, very soon...

 This was the sign at the frozen yogurt store that lured me inside. 

So grateful for another glorious almost-fall day. I hope you're enjoying the beauty of the season, too. 

As always, thanks for visiting and take good care!  

15 comments

Anonymous said...

Hi Carol, What a wonderful post today. I'm thankful you are healthy and able to entertain this evening.
I love seeing the park, waterfall and flowers. I would enjoy joining you for that pumpkin yogurt!
The pumpkin coffee sounds delicious too.
Take care.

Nellie said...

Anything with pumpkin is a hit around here! I baked a Pumpkin Angel Food Cake today! Maybe it will make the blog one of these days.:-)

It sounds like you have some great plans. Being out and involved in things around you make you the interesting person you are.

Enjoy this evening. May it have special meaning for you.

Mevely317 said...

I had to smile at your mention of mums - favorites, always - then, I "wow'd" a little at the pepper plants. How vibrant!

Tom's not fond of pumpkin, but I've been promising myself a pumpkin-spice something-or- another for a while now, once our temps stay below 100 for 7 consecutive days. Baby steps.

I hope this evening's dinner and services are each nourishing.

Susie said...

Buttercup, The little pepper plants were so cute nestled among the flowers. It is getting to be Pumpkin time...pumpkin bread and lattes are my favorites. xoxo, Susie

Sola Scriptura said...

I hope you have much fun entertaining! It can be a lot of work, but I find it is always worth the effort to be a hostess. Take care and enjoy the rest of your weekend!

TARYTERRE said...

Enjoy your company. Love those pepper plants.

Linda said...

Wait, what was your post? (smiles)--- I was to involved with the word "pumpkin", frozen treat, muffin(wink). Thanks for the smiles. Enjoy your company.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

You are busy and glad you took a few minutes to post. How nice you have that little oasis to get away to so close to home. That would be one drawback to apartment dwelling. Here my oasis is right in my own back yard. I'm looking forward to some pumpkin flavored goodies. Funny how it only this time of year that I make them. Hope you have a wonderful Sunday and a Happy New Year!

Theresa said...

Oh SO much FALL beauty in your City:) Wish I were there this Sunday morning! Enjoy your day dear friend, HUGS!

Leslie said...

I have my alarm set to wish my favorite Jewish friend a Happy New Year on Thursday ~ guess I should move it up to wednesday. Fall in New York is my favorite time.

Have a great Sunday

Julie's Lifestyle said...

I love the way they plant all the fall flowers like mums and the cabbages in the city. So pretty. Have a wonderful Sunday.
Julie

Stephanie said...

Hello sweet Carol! Your pictures are beautiful and the colors just shout out Autumn :)

Thinking of you, dear friend, and wishing you a beautiful week!

Ida said...

What a great idea to plant the ornamental cabbages and peppers together. I bet they will look amazing when they fill in more. Sounds like you are keeping busy. Hope the dinner went well.

Terra said...

I like your little sanctuary park and the ornamental kale and peppers, and how good you are well again and are hosting others for dinner before services.

Unknown said...

Wow! That paper plants are wonderful.
top rated photography colleges