Powered by Blogger.

A Glorious Day for the Buttercupland Fair...BaridaGlass

It's a glorious day in New York City. It's sunny, warm -- fifty degrees -- and not a bit windy. I'm so happy to share one of my favorite artists with you. I was at a friend's house several months ago chatting with Barbara when I commented on how much I liked her jewelry. She explained that she was the artist and I knew her work was perfect for the Buttercupland Fair. It's beautiful, it's useful and it's well-priced.

I love this set, though I could say that about just about every piece in the BaridaGlass Etsy shop. 

Barbara uses a fascinating process to create her work and I'm going to use her description to explain it. 

Barbara Marsh creates her jewelry and decorative pieces from sheets of colored and dichroic glass (similar to Murano glass.) She cuts, shapes and fires layers of glass in a special kiln for up to 12 hours. The dichroic glass is coated with metallic oxides. Some pieces are further refined by additional grinding and firing before findings are attached. Each piece is one of a kind, with the exception of some very simple earrings. Variations of dimension and color combinations result in distinctive pieces of jewelry. Barbara's quilting background is obvious in the color sense and precision of designs. Barbara has been working in glass for six years. 

There is an extensive collection  to choose from and Barbara will be happy to list anything you see here on Etsy for sale. She can be reached at barida@aol.com. Especially interesting and useful are the eyeglass holders, which are great for those of us who use reading glasses that we often misplace. 

This set would look great with a black sweater. 

I love the bright metal look in this set. 


If you've got a dog fan in the family -- who doesn't! -- this is a great gift. 

My original plan for the Buttercupland Fair was to do all my posts for it in October, but life got in the way. I'm going to do one more post for books in a few days. Despite all the hoopla on Black Friday and Cyber Monday there's still time to settle down at the computer with a cup of tea or cocoa and enjoy some fun Etsy shopping.   

Thanks for the get well wishes. I'm feeling better today, though my cough seems to be persisting. I was out early for a morning program at the library -- love my branch library -- and brought home two more books. But I couldn't resist one of Sue Grafton's books I hadn't read, "V is for Vengeance," and Marie Osmond's memoir, "The Key is Love." I also made my first visit to the post office in this post-Thanksgiving mailing environment, and survived. My goal is to mail early and I was delighted to start today. I'm in the midst of wrapping, so that when my cards arrive I can mail everything else next week. This will definitely be a first for me.   

As always, thanks for stopping by, and take good care of yourself.  

11 comments

Susie said...

Buttercup, You are ahead if you've mailed things already. I do like that lady's jewelry. Take care you do not want to feel sick during the holidays. Hugs to you, Susie

Melinda said...

Great Job!

Haven't seen you for awhile.

M :)

Stephanie said...

Hello sweet Carol! It's so nice to have some time to visit you - I hope you are well, lovely friend. The jewelry is simply beautiful! Thanks for sharing with us.

Hugs to you!

Kerin said...

Hi Carol,
What beautiful jewelry! Such a talented lady. I will have to check out her etsy store.

I'm so glad that you are on the mend, and I hope that you are able to get rid of your cough soon too!!

Warm wishes...
Kerin

Lynn said...

Artists just blow my mind, how they do what they do, how they even think to do what they do, wow! This is gorgeous jewellery. Goode for you with the mailing early, I need to get busy for our stuff has a way to go...

Nellie said...

Really lovely jewelry, Buttercup!

I'm glad you are feeling improved!

TARYTERRE said...

Really beautiful glass pieces. perfect for gifts.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

We too enjoyed a warmer day here yesterday. It's not often that we see a 50 degree day in December. Today we'll start to get colder and snow will be moving in for the weekend. Glad you are doing so well with your gifts. That jewelry is beautiful.

Theresa said...

Enjoy your day dear friend! BIG HUGS from Georgia and thanks for showing this gorgeous jewelry:) HUGS!

Mevely317 said...

I had to smile at your reference to 50-degrees being warm. I think it was 52 this afternoon and my coworkers were using words like "brutal" and, "I'm freeeeezing!"

Your friend's work is so unique; I'll definitely checking out her shop.

Hugs,
Myra

Grammy Staffy said...

Hello dear... Bloglovin. Is giving me problems making comments to you. I tried to comment on your retirement recap post and it would not publish it no matter what I did. I hope this one will work. I hope your chest and your foot are healing quickly. I've been out of sorts this week but am doing better today. Your friends jewelry is beautiful. Have a good , healthy week. Hugs, Lura