Powered by Blogger.

This Old Dog Learned a New Trick


Last week I posted my thoughts about my retirement honeymoon being over. I realized that I was ambivalent and anxious about actually wading out into the deep water of making my dreams come true. I also realized after I finished the post that I had probably been ambivalent and anxious about every major adventure in my life. This would include going to college. I hated to leave my parents and high school friends. Of course, I had been thinking about college for years, but I didn't skip off without several hundred looks back. It would include moving to New York and getting a job in publishing. I had dreamed about moving to New York since I was twelve, fourteen, sixteen, but when the time actually arrived, I was scared. 

I have long believed that maturity isn't the lack of making mistakes, but it's the ability not to make the same mistakes. I thought my inborn anxiety was simply a mistake I made and one I could just ignore. I am certainly less anxious than I have been in the past, but new situations bring anxiety out full-force. I don't think that will change no matter how "mature" I become. At sixty-three I came to this realization. I am happy to report that this old dog learned a new trick about herself. 

No fear, I'm sticking to blogging, to writing and to the pursuit of the dream of publishing for the next eight months, just as I planned when I retired. I once again learned that everything worth doing takes more time and a lot more work than one would suppose. I also learned -- for the hundredth time at least -- that it very rarely goes as quickly as I would like. But if history has taught me anything I have learned that keeping at one's dream is the best course to pursue, and that makes for one happy old pup. 

Please come by tomorrow for our Random 5 Friday fun. As always, thanks for visiting and take good care of yourself. 

9 comments

Melinda said...

Congratulations on your discovery.
Life teaches us something everyday.

M : )

Nadine_Feldman said...

Wonderful! I, too, have anxiety when faced with major life changes. About six months after leaving my corporate job, I heard they wanted me to come back...and I was oh, so tempted. I'm glad that I held out to make it through the limbo that I felt at the time.

Susie said...

At least you are still learning and that will keep you young. :):) I have always be a bit scared of trying new things or taking big leaps in life...just keep your faith, it'll make you strong. xoxo,Susie

TARYTERRE said...

Learning about what makes you tick is always a good thing.

Terra said...

I am glad you are sticking to your retirement goals, they sound like a good match for you.

Paula said...

I hope one of your goals is to visit Alaska some day! I also dream of writing a book. I have one section done already and the next is in my head. I don't have an agent or a publisher yet, however!

Lynn said...

I love these light bulb moments and I'm a bit like you I would like things to be done yesterday (sort of) but the pleasure is in the doing isn't it-I envy your ability to write well enough to dream of being pubished bravo imagine you are already on your journey to your dream...!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Anything new is always a little scary. Leaving the old and starting something new does bring a sense of the unknown. I just take it one day at a time and try to make each day the best I know how. Following your dreams isn't always easy but in the long run it is the most fulfilling.

Theresa said...

There is one thing about getting "mature"... we are SMARTER than we were:) Enjoy your day dear friend as you continue to follow your dreams! BIG HUGS!