Powered by Blogger.

Lower Manhattan, the Place Where New York Began

Lower Manhattan, taken from the Staten Island Ferry

I had the pleasure of working in Lower Manhattan for over a decade. I worked at the tip of Manhattan -- very close to this scene -- for almost six years, before our office moved to Queens in 2005. I still miss this view every day. For years I got to see the sunset over the Statue of Liberty, and the sight never got old or stale. There were some very rough days after September 11, but the neighborhood has flourished and has recovered, too, from the damage from Hurricane Sandy.  

Our featured blogger of the day is my blog buddy, Terra. She is a talented writer and her blog is delight to visit. I'm going to make a pitch for the terrific book on motherhood that she co-wrote. It's a perfect gift for Mother's Day. You'll find the details on her blog. 

I'm raring to go with the blog challenge and get my posts on the same day as everyone else again. I've got a fun "M," and though it's only half a block off Broadway it's got a connection to the Louvre. Any guesses?

Wishes for a Magical Monday!  

20 comments

TARYTERRE said...

Lovely pictures. GREAT place for sure.

Life and Breath and Everything Else said...

Thanks for sharing New York with us in this fun way :)

Nellie said...

It's fun to tour New York this way, Carole. I look forward to "Magical Monday."

Sylvia Ney said...

I've always wanted to visit there, but haven't made it so far. It's on my list! New follower here. I'm stopping by from the "A to Z" challenge and I look forward to visiting again.

Sylvia
http://www.writinginwonderland.blogspot.com/

Theresa said...

Beautiful view:) I can't wait to visit again! Have a blessed week, HUGS!

Mevely317 said...

How fortunate (you were) to witness that scene each evening, Carol.
... and how fortunate for us, getting to visit the City through your eyes!
Wishing you an exciting, happy week!

Melinda said...

Super view. I'm sure it was interesting to work there.

M :)

Denise said...

I love New York's Museums, which just happens to start with M. Like the Metropolitan. And MOMA. You are reminding me that it has been way too long since I visited there. Thanks for the photos.

Grammy Staffy said...

I love the way you share NY with us. NYC seems like a magical place to me.
Enjoy going to see Kinky Boots. I love musicals. We saw Secret Garden last night. Next weekend we are going to watch our Claire in the opera Noah's Arc. I won't be able to understand a word so tonight Claire went over the score with me to help me out. Oh well, the music will be pretty and I will love hearing our Claire sing even if I can't understand her.
Have a great Monday.... I can't wait to see what is magical. Hugs, Lura

p.s. thanks so much for your sweet comments on my blog. They mean a lot to me.

Dee @ A Deecoded Life said...

Lovely picture and description of Lower Manhattan! I can almost see it myself. :)

D is for Deecoded

Jen HaHA said...

I was going to guess MOMA, too. Sad that my two trips to NYC did not include museum visits. I guess I'll have to visit again!

Check out my A to Z! Jen Hemming and Hawing Again

Petronela said...

wow Carol I'll always associate Manhattan with Carrie from Sex and the City...so I can't help but wonder....have you seen Mister Big?

Nancy said...

I've never visited -- but I love your photos. xo

Carol said...

I think seeing NY through your eyes is awesome! Wouldn't it be great if everyone that blogged did a month of their hometown?

Have a Blessed Day Carol!!!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

It would be something to see the Statue of Liberty everyday. I've only ever seen pictures of it. Hope you do have a Magical Monday!

Melissa Ann Goodwin said...

You were lucky to have that opportunity! Will pop over to your friend Terra's blog.

Ms Sparrow said...

Just as soon as I win the lottery, I'm coming to see your city, for sure!

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

How wonderful to see the sunset over the statue of Liberty! Love your photo!

Lynda said...

Don't you love the memories and emotions a picture can bring instantaneously to your mind? Thanks for sharing yours.

Terra said...

Silly me, I left a thank you comment on the wrong post! So here tis again, thank you for the nice surprise of featuring my blog and book! "Scrapbook of Motherhood Firsts: Stories to Celebrate and Wisdom to Bless Moms."