Powered by Blogger.

Inquiring Minds Want to Know...

...do you flip to the back of a book first?

Actually, the inquiring mind is my cousin, Rachel. I visited Rachel in Rhode Island this weekend to celebrate her fiftieth birthday. During my stay I borrowed a book by Debbie Macomber -- it turns out Rachel and I are both fans of Debbie's writing -- and I flipped to the end of the book to see how the story turned out. Rachel looked at me in surprise. She knew I'd just taken the book off the shelf and she knew I couldn't have read it that fast. I was a little embarrassed to admit that I often go to the last few chapters of a book first. So does Rachel and she was surprised to see that I had the same reading habit. We did a quick survey of family and only our sweet college cousin, Hillary, starts her reading the same way. I'm taking a very informal blog survey to see if anyone else starts at the back first. Reading habits, please!

The State Capitol, Providence

It was a great weekend in Providence. Rachel's party had a very fun fifties theme and it was wonderful to spend the evening with family and friends. Carrot cake made by Kimmie, Rachel's high school friend, was a high point of the treats and I am pining for another piece. We had breakfast at a favorite place in Warren, RI and the afternoon was spent relaxing and movie watching. I'd planned to come back to New York in the afternoon, but there was a freight train derailment near New Haven, and no trains were moving south. After a few minutes of "I've got to get back for work..." I rebooked for the first train this morning. It was a very early start to the day, but it gave me a very enjoyable afternoon and dinner with family. 

Now I enter a very hectic work week. I have a night meeting tomorrow and then we are launching a project I've been working on for over two years. Not sure how much I'll be around, but I will try to blog as often as I am able to. 

What I hope is the last snow of the season is falling outside my window. I'm warm and cozy and I send you warm and cozy wishes, too!

19 comments

Becky K. said...

Oh no. I'm too much of a rule follower for that. Besides, I love to guess the plot the entire time I am reading.

Mevely317 said...

As much as it's tempting ... I can't bring myself to spoil what I hope is a surprise finale.
...But isn't it FUN to discover little similarities with precious friends and family?

I'm envious of your weather ... this weekend's temps in Phoenix were 90-plus.

martinealison said...

Une très jolie publication...
J'espère toutefois que Demoiselle Printemps vienne vite faire fondre votre neige.
Gros bisous

Life and Breath and Everything Else said...

I used to flip to the end of the book early on, but the last few years I've been out of that habit. I've learned to enjoy the plot as it unfolds,... a work of patience for me :)

Marie Rayner said...

Never ever! I don't want to spoil the journey!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I never read the ending first. I want to enjoy the book without knowing the end until I get there. Glad you had a nice weekend and hope your week goes well.

Vicki @ lifeinmyemptynest said...

I have been known to go the the end if I just have to know! I try to control myself with most books though :-)

Keetha Broyles said...

you are a girl after my own heart.

I read far enough into the book to meet everyone then I HAVE to flip to the end to make sure everyone is ok.

Theresa said...

A lot of folks probably do that, not me:) Hope you have a wonderful week and that the snow ends for you all soon! HUGS!

Denise said...

I only flip to the last chapter when a book fails my '50-page' rule. Then I'll look to see if there might be a reason to actually read it all. If I am enjoying a book, I never cheat myself out of the possible surprise ending.

Ms Sparrow said...

I've never skipped to the end of a book, but I have rushed reading to the end!

TARYTERRE said...

I always flip through a book to see if it's worth my time reading??? Sounds like a fun trip.

Melinda said...

No not I, my Mom did that but I start at the beginning and stop at the end. I don't want to spoil the book.

Glad you had a fun trip.

M :)

Nellie said...

No, I don't read the last of the book first - at first, anyway.:-) There are some times that I will thumb to the back after I have been reading the book awhile.

Sending well wishes for the week!

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Not right off the bat, but I do read the last few pages early on and usually find it means something very different than I expected.

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Sounds like a nice visit with family for you! That is an interesting thing to ask- I am not a back page reader, unless, like Denise above, it doesn't pass the '50 page rule'. Then I will for the same reason, to see if it is still worth reading! I'm finding more and more books these days like that unfortunately.

Vintage Country Girl said...

I guess I have a question, and a comment. Does it feel like cheating a little to read the end first? I read from the beginning, I have to say...I'd rather get to know then characters than be confused by people I don't know at the end...and it's something to look forward to.

Melissa said...

I do sometimes do this. Not with all books, though. I'm not sure why I do it.

Donna said...

i always check out the end .. I need to know where the story is going.