Powered by Blogger.

Ten Thoughts for 2013...Museums

The Metropolitan Museum of Art in winter past

One of my favorite things to do when I travel is visit museums. I have chosen travel destinations based on the museums, and sometimes the specific art contained in those museums. I can't remember ever being disappointed. New York is the home of great museums. I spend the most time at the Metropolitan Museum. When I first moved to New York in 1975 I lived five blocks away. In the first few years I would visit almost every Saturday and became very familiar with the permanent collection. 

The American Museum of Natural History

In 1976 I got a job working in the anthropology department of the American Museum of Natural History. What a fabulous experience! It was as though I was living "Night at the Museum" though Teddy Roosevelt -- pictured on the horse -- never spoke to me. I was fortunate enough to work there for two years and it was one of the best jobs ever.

As the years have gone by I have done less and less museum visiting, to my great detriment. I do get to a museum about once a month, but with the wealth of riches available to see that's just not enough. In addition to seeing more exhibits, I hope to become a museum volunteer. It probably won't be at the Metropolitan Museum. The training class to be a docent is rigorous and long. The docents give free tours in various areas of the museum which are world class and they work to ensure that these tours are of high quality. But there are many other museums that would be interesting. I enjoy history as well as art and have been looking at the Museum of Jewish Heritage and the New York Historical Society. Is anyone else in Buttercupland a museum volunteer?

The weekend seems to have flown by. Errands, coffee with a friend, my movie marathon and blogging...it just went too quickly, but what fun! Hope your weekend was as much fun as mine and that your week holds only good times. 

12 comments

Grandma Yellow Hair said...

Hey honey just commented on your previous post and now I have to leave you another one. lol
What a great place to live where your only blocks away from Museum such as you have in your city.
I have to say I am a tad jealous but happy for you.
Houston and Austin are both 80 miles away so I don't volunteer but I think you would make a prefect docent and should of course do this.
I do volunteer for the Round Top Festival Hill Institute that was built here by the famous James Dick.
He preforms in concerts in New York often so you might have heard him play. I love Festival Hill and look forward to when I can volunteer even more after retirement.
Always always enjoy your post.
Love
Maggie

Nellie said...

The museums are what I would enjoy most about NYC. It sounds like you have taken advantage of many of them.

What a good week-end you have had! I hope your work week will be a good one!

Mimi said...

HI!!
I too always go to at least one museum of every destination we go. You learn so much that way!!
I would love to visit the museums in NEW YORK....
hugs,
jamie

Terra said...

I think you will make a great volunteer docent. I spent many a happy day in museums, especially one summer when I lived in Paris. Ah, the Louvre.

Sheilagh said...

Museums (Don't you just love that word?)are such a treasury of history. We have fabulous museums here in Liverpool, my favourite being The Maritime Museum followed very closely by the Museum of Life, the newest amazing on on our world famous waterfront. I would love to take you the sometime:)

Hugs


Sheilagh
xx

Unknown said...

I love visiting museums! My husband and I try to visit at least one museum every time we go on holiday. Great fun!

Melinda said...

We have some wonderful museums here in Kansas City! If you come here we will go.

M :)

Deanna said...

I love museums and when you come to Chicago to attend the blog conference make sure you leave time to visit those that are here.

Ms Sparrow said...

Good luck with that! I checked into being a volunteer at the Ordway Theater. After I learned about all the training necessary, I changed my mind!

Anonymous said...

You have enjoyed some marvelous experiences with museums. Always a pleasure for you to share your outings with us.

Lynda said...

When we lived in upstate NY - - - in Middleburgh - - - my mom worked in Albany. We frequently visited the state museum there and loved it. Even as adults whenever we visited, we had to visit the museum. My mom lived right next to the park that was part of Rockefeller Plaza so the museum was her next door neighbor. I never had a desire to volunteer in one though.

Susie said...

Buttercup, I love museums. I would love to go to everyone there is.I have been to Chicago's and the Getty museum in L.A. and tons of little ones here and there. Oh an the Air and Space museum in D.C. One day I would love to see the Mona Lisa, in person. All the places you have worked makes me think...you are a brainiac.:):) xoxox,Susie