Powered by Blogger.

Tea Time

Is there a more charming place for tea on a cold winter's afternoon than

I can't think of one for any afternoon! 

My friend, Mary, and I had our annual (post) holiday celebration on Sunday. We enjoy going out after New Years when we most need a treat. This year we chose to do tea. Initially we thought we would go to one of the big hotels. But we did some research and found this lovely restaurant tucked away on a side street on the Upper East Side. I am so glad we did.


We had our tea in the lovely Willow Room. I felt I was at least 3,000 miles away in an English inn.  

The food was delicious. Little sandwiches, scones and yummy pastries. I especially liked the lemon bars. 


The Mandalay Room was upstairs. It would be a beautiful place for a special celebration dinner. The dinner menu looked wonderful. I'd have a difficult time choosing what to order. I was especially taken with the dessert selection. Would you choose the "warm apple crumble with Irish oatmeal crust and Bourbon caramel sauce" or "warm hazelnut plum tart with ginger creme anglaise?" We'd have to order both!

Tri-state bloggers: Wouldn't it be fun to do a blogger tea here in the spring? Of course I'm not limiting a tea to  those of us from NY/NJ/CT. All would be welcome and it would be lovely. 

I've already planned a return visit for brunch with my neighbor. We ran into each other in the grocery this evening and were chatting about getting together one weekend. Luckily I had just the place for us. 

Hope you're keeping warm and cozy!

11 comments

Anonymous said...

A very charming place and lemon bars are an all time favorite of mine!

Sharon said...

What a lovely place! Mr. B and I are trying so hard to find a few days for a getaway to NYC. You bet believe I'll be calling on you for some out-of-the-way recommendations just like this one!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I think English Teas are getting more and more popular. I've heard more about them lately than ever before. Your celebration looks like it was a very yummy one. Good friends and good food just can't be beat.

Ante Babaja said...

damn, nice place :)

Sheilagh said...

Looks very Olde Worldy Delightful:)

Chatty Crone said...

That looked LOVELY and so much fun. We have a tea room here - nice, but not quite as nice as that. Glad you had a great time. sandie♥

Melinda said...

What fun! I love going to places like this!

How fun for you and your friend.

Melinda

Grammy Staffy said...

What a lovely time you had having tea with your friend. I have 2 friends who love to go to tea and have tea parties. Sometimes we go to a tea house which is lovely.... sometimes we have tea parties of our own. They have invited me to tea this Fri at their house. I can hardly wait. I wish you could join us.

However, speaking of joining us.... I just read that you are coming to CA on my birthday. San Diego is only an hour and a half away from my home. I would love to be able to meet you. I could drive down to San Diego.... or if you would like to spend more time in CA seeing the sights I could pick you up and bring you home with me. I would love to have you stay here with us while you visit southern Cal. You would be more than welcome.
I am glad that sweet Sybil won your lovely giveaway. I know that she is thrilled.

Have a great week. I am excited about the thoughts of getting to meet you.
Hugs, Lura

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I don't know the upper east side well, Buttercup, so I was happy to see this recommendation for a nice tea place! It looks wonderful! I'd love to go on a bloggers tea one day this spring or summer...please include me in the plans!

k and c's mom said...

Looks like you are having a wonderful time! A blogger tea sounds like so much fun. Wish Texas was in the Tri-State area...

Sybil said...

What a wonderful looking tea room to have "afternoon tea" in...even over here there are not that many nice places to have afternoon tea. ( Altho when ? you come over afternoon tea at the Pump room in Bath will be the order of the day)
Much Love Sybil x