Powered by Blogger.

The Post Scheduled for This Evening has Been Preempted...

...by a Message of Hope

I heard a bird sing
In the dark of December
A magical thing and sweet
to remember.

We are nearer to Spring
Than we were in September
I heard a bird sing
In the dark of December.

Oliver Herford  

I was sitting on the platform at the Times Square subway station, one of the most urban environments I can think of. I'd watched one very overcrowded train go by and adopted a very philosophical attitude about getting to work. I'd be happy with any time this morning. And then from nowhere, this sweet bird appeared. He didn't sing, but he happily hopped all over the platform, oblivious to the crowds, the noise, the discarded papers. He could have been no happier in a spring meadow, than he was on a cold December morning at Times Square. I could do no less, and my mind drifted to one of my favorite poems, and the promise of the glory of spring, which is in our hearts. 

Party plans continue tomorrow, but tonight the only thought I have is the promise of spring. 


18 comments

Neabear said...

That is a nice turn in your thoughts! Thank you for stopping by my place with the birthday wishes. Hope your party plans go well....

Happy New Year!

~Linnea

Jess said...

That's beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

^..^Corgidogmama said...

Lovely post Buttercup!

Lynda said...

The bird was a nice change from all that snow - - for sure!

Anonymous said...

A simple gift to bring you joy. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Another beautiful write, Carol. I so love these little pieces to enjoy. And, by the way, I hope you are enjoying all 'my' snow ... we got a little spit & sput! Was so counting on a ton of that gorgeous white stuff.

Happy New Year my precious friend ~ was so great to talk with you the other day.

Hugs & love, Marydon

Country Whispers said...

Spring sounds great about now!
Love the poem.

Sheilagh said...

Just what is needed now, thank you, to you and the little bird.

accidental carer said...

It's so good to take time out and think of "life". Not our own lives but life in general. Thank you for reminding us that we need to do this - warm wishes on a cold December day xxx

Jane said...

Beautiful thoughts! Here's hoping that 2011 brings only the best to you,

Jane

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I love the interruption! Spring seems far away so any thoughts of it are welcome for sure.

Melinda said...

I'm sure you ARE ready for Spring!
What a cute little bird.

Enjoy your evening!

Melinda

Pam said...

The little bird definitely made your day it sounds like! Very cute. I'm so ready for spring and know you are too! Love your new look here!

Maggid said...

Hope it found plenty of crumbs.
Hope your day is Splendid.
Thank you for your cyber-company -
You make this place Much Sweeter.
All Best,
g

Gloria said...

OK, now you know a NY'er is writing: Forget about your poem! That poor little freaking bird! I hope someone got him outta there and off the platform! ;)
Best,
Gloria
P.S. Thanks for visiting my blog yesterday. I wrote you a WHOLE "reply" but after I pressed SEND, I saw it went to 'no reply comment' so it is sitting in my sent box. If you get a chance, send me your email so I can send you my reply! gloria.vincent@yahoo.com

Chatty Crone said...

Awesome! sandie

Andrea said...

Beautiful!!

Hope you have an awesome New Year full of unexpected blessings! I am thankful GOD brought you into my life this past year.

Blessings, hugs, and prayers,
andre

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

This is a sweet post, Buttercup! I hope the little bird eventually found his way out of the subway station.
I've seen pigeons ride the Q train to coney Island. There is a video on Youtube of them walking on and off the subway cars as if they knew what they are doing..lol!

Are you celebrating in Times Square on New Years Eve? Although I've lived in Brooklyn my entire life I never did that!