Powered by Blogger.

A Few of My Favorite Things...Snow Globes



I'm introducing a new theme, sharing some of my favorite things with my bloggy friends. I have a few collections, some like postcards go back many years. Others, like snow globes are relatively recent. I started collecting right after September 11th with a snow globe of the Twin Towers and it just grew from there. Most of my collection is in the office and I've bought some, but a number have been gifts from colleagues. I have had two mishaps getting them back to New York. The snow globe from the Cayman Islands broke in the suitcase and the snow globe from the Clinton Library in Little Rock was confiscated by airport security for having more than three ounces of liquid.

A close-up of three of my favorites, Park City, Utah -- where I took a hot air balloon ride -- Memphis and Sitka, Alaska.


I keep a few at home, too. Here is one from the Edison home in Fort Myers, one brought as a gift from Barbados and my favorite, a snow globe based on a cartoon in "The New Yorker." The poor soul in the globe is standing with a snow shovel contemplating the endless amount of snow he has to shovel. He stands right by my computer and I never tire of watching him.

Anyone else a snow globe collector? What are your favorite things?

Take good care and hope everyone is having a relaxing and happy weekend.

13 comments

Bearly Sane said...

Hi Buttercup,
Thank you for popping by my blog...I am always pleased to meet new friends who have an interest in teddy bears.
You have quite a collection of snow globes there too.
Isn't it funny how once we begin collecting one thing, we often introduce a few new collections to our home as well?
Must get back to the show...will chat again.
Warmest hugs,
Sandi

Unknown said...

I bought a few snow globes over the years, but I wish I had actively collected them from a young age. I'd have so many nifty ones from family trips.

roy/elisabeth dean said...

What a great collection of snow globes. I have a girlfriend that collects them as well. Me, I collect rabbits! When I was a young girl, I had a rabbit for 5 years. He lived in the house, used a litterbox, walked on a leash and went everywhere with me. He passed away on Prom Night my Senior year in H.S. I was so heartbroken. My sister came over with 3 little porcelin rabbit figurines that looked just like him. It grew from there! When we moved into this house 12 years this past March, neighbors stopped in to welcome us to the neighborhood and were impressed that I had gone all out for Easter! I had to confess that my rabbits stayed out all.the.time!
I love seeing what people collect~
Have a great holiday weekend!
♥,Lilly

Mimi said...

HI BUTTERCUP!!!!
I love your snow globe collection and the funny thing is right now I'm watching the movie The Sound of Music and she just finished singing These are a few of my favorite things!!!!
How funny!!!!
I have a few Disney Snowglobes from my darling daughter who works for Disney, other then that I would say when I travel I always buy a Christmas ornament for my traveling theme tree!!!!
I have several other things I like to collect as well, I may post about it tomorrow!!! I ran today with my daughter and granddaughter and I think I might be getting a fall early attack of allergies!!!!So I'm off to bed here in a few minutes!!!
Enjoy your week-end!!
hugs,
jamie

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

Aw Buttercup, what pretty globes! I move too often and travel too light to have much of anything!

Anonymous said...

That is an impressive collection!

I collect book mostly...never can pass up a book store of any kind...LOL!

A most recent collection as you know is dolls. Love those dollies!

Anonymous said...

My younger sister and you could go snow globe hunting together :)

I love this new theme.

Jess said...

I love them. Having been a giver and recipient of these, they're so fun!

Good to be a Queen said...

It's music boxes for me....I have my very first one that started it all when I was eight, a little bird in a cage....And boy has it grown since then..

Joyful Days said...

I'm always entranced by snowglobes, but have never collected them. I've got a slew of other collections though. I collect bears, snowmen, Christmas trees, pumpkins, paper, yarn, beads...actually I collect collections.

My niece has a nice snowglobe collection. She lets me enjoy them when I visit.

So fun to peek at your treasures!

Julie

^..^Corgidogmama said...

What a unique collection. Fascinating.
You needed a little whimsy after 9-11 I can imagine.

Chatty Crone said...

I have a couple of snow globes too. Nothing like yours. What a great way to collect a memory from a trip.

You know what would be nice to hear about this week since you live in New York - the effects of 9-11 on you and your life. . . just a thought.

Neabear said...

I have a couple of small ones in my Christmas things. But my sister-in-law has quite a collection of them. I don't think she has as many as you do. They are so pretty to watch!