Powered by Blogger.

Great Moments in (Buttercup's) Travel History

Cape Sounion, Greece, 1983

Buttercup and Jane ride "Yankee Doodle"
at the Pyramids, 1983

Buttercup in Thailand, 1989
When you're the photographer you don't get a lot of photos of yourself, but in going through my photographs I came upon a few that I thought were blogworthy and fun! The photos from Greece and Egypt were taken on a wonderful trip with my college roommate. We asked the proverbial question, "If we could go anywhere in the world, where would we go?" Egypt and Greece were the answer and we had a fabulous time and we still talk about this trip. One of my favorite memories of all time is our camel ride. Yankee Doodle was a surly camel, though he looks very sweet in the photo. We bounced more than any amusement park ride and I spent the better part of the ride screaming and praying I wouldn't fall off. Of course it makes the best memory.
The last photo is from the same trip to Thailand as the pictures yesterday. I'm not sure where this was taken, but my memory is that I was told that releasing the bird would bring good luck. I enjoyed this trip very much. So much so, that I've been to Thailand twice since, including a week in northern Thailand in 2002.
I love my digital camera and have become very accustomed to viewing photos on the computer. Looking through pictures -- I even dug out boxes of pictures from the back of my closet -- reminded me of how much I like having pictures. I like having them in frames on the mantle, in my hutch and scattered around the apartment. I like holding them and remembering where I was when I took the picture. I'd quite forgotten the pleasure of flipping through pictures. Thanks, gentle readers, for reminding me of a simple pleasure I'd forgotten.

4 comments

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

I like actual pictures, too, bent corners and all.

Glennis said...

Yes I also quite miss the joy of real paper photos, the digital computer ones are lovely but the real thing is something else.
Glad you enjoyed Langkawi, I do think it was our best holiday though like you I enjoy them all. Rising elephants and camels are some of my best memories too, and I will add more given time. We travel every year, and this year it is a cruise for the first time and around the Pacific. We have already 'done' all the islands but not from the ocean, should be a delight we think. We have never had a 'bad' holiday we didn't enjoy.
Nice to meet a fellow traveler. Given endless money, I think I would visit Egypt's pyramids, and also Brazil wonderful waterfall, preferably from both sides of the cascades.

Chatty Crone said...

Man you have had some nice trips and good memories. I agree it would be nice to have endless money. I would use it to travel as well.

I miss the good ole pictures too.

Joyful Days said...

I'm a real picture person, too. Although, digital lets me have more.