Powered by Blogger.

I Love the Night Life


Back in the '70s I loved this song. Not that I was going to discos every night, but I was out and about a lot more in the evenings. Now I generally seem to be coming home from work, the grocery or a dash to Macys in the evening. That seems to be the bulk of my night life now. But this week I had bona fide night life with a visit to the theater on Thursday and a movie on Friday night.
Thanks to Kath and Jess I had the good fortune to see "9 to 5," and what fun it was. I liked the movie a lot and enjoyed the musical even more. The music by Dolly Parton was lively, good dancing and two especially memorable performances. One was Allison Janney in the role Lily Tomlin played in the movie and the other was Megan Hilty in the Dolly Parton role. Allison's strength isn't singing, but neither was Rex Harrison's and he will always be Henry Higgins in "My Fair Lady." As a fan of "West Wing" I was delighted to see her in person. Megan has a terrific voice and lots of stage presence.
Friday night Mary and I went to see "Management," a new movie with Jennifer Aniston and Steve Zahn. It's quirky and sweet and worth seeing. We were in the Times Square area -- actually just a block from Times Square. As we waited for the bus four young men came up to us. One of them asked where Times Square was. Now lots of people ask me for directions, but this seemed odd as Times Square was just down the block and seemed so obvious. I assumed it was a pickup line -- cheeky! and even though Mary and I are old enough to be these young men's mothers we're still pretty cute -- and Mary thought they might be thinking of stealing our wallets. Neither was the case. We pointed out the right direction and then asked where they were from. Two of our visitors were from Prince Edward Island, one was from New Brunswick and one was from Scotland and really just wanted to know were Times Square was.
I love the nightlife, whether it's a play, a movie, giving directions or just a ride on the #104 bus.

7 comments

Jess said...

Oh, I'm so glad you liked it. I can't wait to see it.

blushing rose said...

Memories .... TY for sharing. So glad you are enjoying yourself.
TTFN ~ Marydon

Anonymous said...

A delightful evening was had by all it seems!

k and c's mom said...

Broadway Across America comes to Austin and I have tickets to "Wicked"--can't wait! I've read the reviews of the "9 to 5" you saw and it sounds wonderful. I love hearing about your very real life in NY.

Olde Dame Penniwig said...

I remember disco. I loved how hokey it was and how very easy on the mind.

Glad you got to see plays and a movie! I'm still amazed that things I have only read about or heard about, like Times Square, you have actually SEEN, as in it's part of YOUR LIFE!!!

Chatty Crone said...

Thanks for sharing your stories - I'm visiting New York through you.

Anonymous said...

I am so jealous! I love, love, love theater. I actually had the good fortune to see Phantom of the Opera in Canada about a decade ago. It was truly spectacular. More recently, I had the privilege of watching 'Chicago'...a great production! BTW, I am anticipating a visit to NY this Christmas with my mother. I may have to look you up! You can give me directions to Central Park. :):)