Powered by Blogger.

Today (And Every Day) Is Penguin Appreciation Day

 

I would  love to be hand in hand with a penguin, whether it was Penguin Awareness/Appreciation Day, today, January 20, or any other day of the year.  I had the great good fortune of living one of my fondest dreams in 2017 and seeing penguins in their habitats in Patagonia and the Falkland Islands during a trip to the far reaches of the Southern Hemisphere. It was a dream come true and gave me an extraordinary appreciation for these amazing animals.


Penguins in the Falkland Islands

Penguin life isn't easy -- no singing or dancing as depicted in movies -- and these flightless sea birds spend most of their lives in the ocean hunting for food, especially to keep their young fed. There are eighteen species of penguins, and while most of them live in colder climates than the Falkland Islands, I was amazed to discover them in this balmy landscape. The rapidly changing climate in Antarctica is of great concern for the future of penguin life, as well as threats to their food supply.

I know that I promised a celebration of the bagel, but we'll postpone that for a day or so. Bagels are an every day event in New York City, but I wanted to make sure that I celebrated penguins on their special day. 

We had some snow last night, but happily (for me) it was gone by the time I needed to leave for physical therapy. The latter is progressing well and I've moved on to more complicated balance exercises. I don't love doing them, but I am grateful to be able to have the opportunity to get into better shape. 

As ever, thanks for visiting and take care and keep cozy.

9 comments

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I have been fortunate to have seen five of the world's penguin species. It has been a dream for a long time to visit Antarctica, but the cost is prohibitive for me unfortunately.

Deb J. in Utah said...

What a great adventure you must have had in the Falkland Islands back in 2017! Thanks for share what you learned about penguins. They are sure interesting creatures.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I remember your trip and seeing all the pinquins. They are a delight for sure. I recently discovered a new to me bagel. Called and Everything bagel. It's delicious so I'm looking forward to your bagel post!

Edna B said...

The penguins are beautiful. I haven't had a bagel in a while. Now it's making me hungry. You have a super day, hugs, Edna B.

NanaDiana said...

I love penguins. I think they are just the cutest things ever.

There used to a song on a kids' program:

Look there, Daddy,
Do you see?
There's a bird in his tuxedo.
No! That's not what it is at all
That's what people call a Penguin.
On! I see--well, it still looks like bird in a tuxedo to me.

Happy weekend to you. xo Diana

Carol said...

I love penguins! I would like to see some in their natural habitat.

Theresa said...

I love penguins! They are so cute! Enjoy your day dear friend, HUGS!

Marcia said...

My granddaughter went through a penguin phase and maybe she's still in it. But for her 6th birthday she went to the aquarium in CT and spent time with a penguin. She was very thrilled. She loves all animals.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Oh no Carol, shame on me for not acknowledging the penguin on our blog! I was too busy recalling that the date was the anniversary of when we originally signed the paperwork for our VA home. Of course, perhaps there was something in my subconscious mind that led to penguin being included in the title of our blog. Now, i will have to check if there is a frog appreciation day as well!