Powered by Blogger.

It Looks Like Peak Pink Saturday

 

My lunch view on Thursday, Washington, Connecticut
Does it get more beautiful?

You know my answer to the question above. No! I've loved eating out of doors in New York City and so grateful for it, but I doubt if I will find a better luncheon view in 2020. I celebrated a friend's November birthday in her hometown in Connecticut. We have a favorite place there that was only doing takeout, so we went to somewhere untried, and we will be back again. It's starting to get chilly and our visit may have to wait for the spring, but it would be lovely any time of year. 


We opted out of indoor dining -- not my choice these days and anyway the day was so glorious -- but this would be lovely in the winter. There is a big stone fireplace and eating next to its warmth and glow is something I am looking forward to. December 2021??

After lunch it was time for leaf peeping. We drove around Lake Waramaug, and it was beautiful in every direction. The proverbial New England question at this time of year is "Is it peak?" It may have just reached the peak of autumn leaf season this weekend with just a few more cold nights to help things along, but Thursday was about as close to peak as I could desire. 

The view from the road to the lake...

And when I turned around this blaze of glory was in front of me. 

Some of my favorite moments were off the road at a small lake. There were no other visitors, no other cars and one lone kayak across the lake.

Waters ripple and flow

This may be my favorite picture of all the pictures that I photographed. It combines my bittersweet feelings about autumn. I love the beauty and the bright colors, but the falling leaves speak to my sadness about the end of summer and the coming of shorter, darker days. But on this gorgeous autumn day I was once lulled into forgetting what the weather might look like in two months and the layers I might be wrapped in. 

I've loved revisiting Connecticut today and glad you could all join me for this Pink Saturday. I hope you'll be back during the week for a museum visit and a few photographs from around New York City. I'm also pretty sure Pep and a few friends will be showing off their Halloween costumes.  

As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care!

 

14 comments

Martha said...

Such gorgeous photos! We don't really have much change of seasons here in Florida unfortunately. Somehow I never realized until this year just how short the fall season is for most of you in other areas!

Ginny Hartzler said...

I think the big red tree is my favorite today. And I do like the bittersweet picture of the leaves on the picnic table. The restaurant is so gorgeous, yet simple at the same time.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Great colors in this post, Buttercup, and this is another reason WHY the foliage is such a delight here in New England. I have heard that some areas are past peak in and around NH but we have still seen some quite beautiful leaf colors the past 2 weeks. As you noted in describing your favorite photo here, the fallen leaves do foretell what's coming next.

Deb J. in Utah said...

I love the fall colors. What a nice trip! We just missed the fall leaves peak in the Southern Utah mountains over the weekend. Even though the weather was good, most of the leaves were already off the trees, especially in the higher elevations. Have a great week!

Marcia said...

Some lovely photos of fall. Here in the Upper Valley of NH/VT the peak has passed by. Rain today will bring more leaves down and it's not all bad because you can see farther with no leaves blocking the view.

Edna B said...

What beautiful photos. I agree about that last photo. It's sad but beautiful. What a lovely day you enjoyed. Hugs, Edna B.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

It's really beautiful there and so glad you got to see it all. Yes the days are turning colder and being indoors by a warm fire is looking better and better, but still I too will miss the outdoors.

Chatty Crone said...

Oh it is beautiful there - I have always wanted to go there. I do enjoy your photos!

Nellie said...

Truly beautiful! I need to add this destination to my list now! We haven’t even done takeout from a restaurant at this point. Take care!

Lowcarb team member said...

What fabulous photographs you've shared here, a joy to see.
Thank you.

All the best Jan

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Your photos are glorious! Thank you for taking me on a much-needed mini vacation just now! Stay safe and well.

TARYTERRE said...

spectacular. love the changing leaves and beautiful scenery. a serene escape from the city.

Jeanie said...

I can't get enough of fall color. This is gorgeous! The season is all too short and I'm so glad to continue the color tour in a new place!

Louca por porcelana said...

Stunning pictures!