Powered by Blogger.

Happy Birthday, Subways of New York

 

From Broad Street to Coney Island, from Rockaway Park, Queens to Wakefield in the Bronx, a big happy birthday wish! 

When you think about New York City a few things come immediately to mind: the Statue of Liberty, Rockefeller Center, Times Square, bagels and the vast NYC subway lines. I'm actually a couple of days late, but two days ago, on October 27, the New York City subway celebrated its 116th birthday. 

The first elevated trains were built in the nineteenth century and they were joined by the underground trains on October 27, 1904. The system was very different than the one we know today as it kept expanding to meet the growing city. Having an underground transportation system created the means for expansion in Brooklyn, the Bronx and Queens.

A mural designed by the noted artist, Jacob Lawrence, at the Times Square subway station

There are 472 stations in the system, which stretches 842 miles, including the miles of track in New York City Transit's yards, shops and storage areas. This is a longer distance than the 790 miles between New York and Chicago. Until this spring the system ran 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and the hours now are 5:00 am to 1:00 am. 

Yes, it's an unusually clean and uncrowded subway car, but it is a real picture that I took a few years ago on the line that connects Times Square and Grand Central Station.

The subway is having some tough times these days with greatly diminished ridership, and a subsequent loss of fare. I'm hopeful that this iconic part of New York City will weather this most recent storm and keep providing transportation for many years to come. As a note to recent citizens of Buttercupland, I spent twenty years working for NYC Transit, which operates subways, buses and transportation for  people with disabilities. Most of my career was spent in the Department of Buses, but part of my responsibilities included subways. I am a great fan of all kinds of trains, but my heart is always with our subways.  

On a different note, this work week is coming to a close with no progress on our gas inspection. I think I was a little too optimistic that the promised event would take place promptly, and now I'm disappointed. I've kept my expectations low throughout this long wait, and now I will manage them again. But I'm hoping Santa knows how much I want a working stove for Christmas. Please, Santa!
 
Please be on the lookout for two days of Halloween in Buttercupland. I'm saving a surprise or two, but expect to see Pep (and friends) in his Halloween finery.

As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care. Gulf friends, prayers you came through this storm safely. 

4 comments

Ginny Hartzler said...

Darn, I'm so sorry about the gas!! I love the pictures of the subway; I have never seen the inside of one. And I really like the mural! Being underground, it sure does need things like this.

TARYTERRE said...

love the post. great insights. sorry to hear your stove is still out of commission. fingers crossed it'll be working sooner than later.

Edna B said...

It always amazes me how whole subway systems can run underground beneath all the tall buildings and people and automobiles that are above ground. I've never ridden in a subway. I'm sorry to hear that your gas isn't going to be fixed as soon as you had hoped. Hopefully, it will be done soon. I'll put in a good word with Santa for you. He's a special friend of mine. You have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Yes it wouldn't be NYC without the subways.I've never ridden one but have heard a lot about them. We have a heard time just keeping buses running here. They are far and few in-between. Thankfully I do have a car to get me where I need to go. But we have far less traffic to contend with too.