Powered by Blogger.

Welcome 5781

 


At Sundown tonight the Hebrew year of 5781 begins. Traditionally this is the day that Adam and Eve were created and the world was born. In Hebrew it's Rosh Hashanah, or the head of the year. 

For as long as I can remember I've celebrated the new year with synagogue services, festive meals with friends and family and cooking and baking.  Due to the ongoing gas situation in my building there's little cooking or baking and due to the state of the world in 2020, my service attendance will be virtual. I am, very thankfully, having an out of doors lunch with friends who have a backyard deck. There will only be three of us, but I'm sure there will be enough happiness and gratitude for all of New York City. 

This year has lost a lot, but the opportunity to pray has not been lost. Our services will be shorter, but there will still be lots of time to offer individual prayers. I'm including all of Buttercupland in my prayers and will also, as usual, be honored to offer any individual prayers you'd like to send me. 

Another tradition that hasn't been lost in the changes of 2020 is sending good wishes to family and friends. The traditional wish is Shana Tova, meaning a good year. We ask that we are inscribed in the Book of Life and wish each other a sweet year. Foods with honey are traditionally served, symbolic of the wish for a sweet year. 

This year, as always, I wish all of Buttercupland a sweet and good year, with peace, good health and happiness. Shana Tova!

18 comments

Terra said...

Shana Tova to you dear Buttercup. That is delightful you are celebrating in person with two friends.

LA Quick said...

Shana Tova

Deb J. in Utah said...

Shana Tova to you as well! I love the way the Jewish new year is celebrated. It is so much more meaningful that just non-stop party. Enjoy your celebration. :-)

Ginny Hartzler said...

I did not know most of this, so interesting! I hope you have a lovely and meaningful celebration! Blessings to you, my friend!

peggy said...

It was so interesting to learn about the Jewish New Year. Thanks for the reminder that we have not lost the opportunity to pray. I wish you everything good for the year ahead. Sending love from Michigan to all.

Jeanie said...

I'm glad that on this day of the New Year that you could spend it with friends. I'm deeply saddened that Ruth Bader Ginsberg has died -- but she has done it on the new year. Which somehow feels right. In a very weird way. This is a lovely post and I wish you all good things for these high holidays.

TARYTERRE said...

Shana Tova. have a wonderful celebration.

Theresa said...

I wish the same for you. 2020 can't take away the joy we have in traditions, they just look a little different. Enjoy your day dear friend, HUGS!

Marcia said...

Happy New Year!
Too bad we lost RBG.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Happy New Year U'm wishing you a good year ahead filled will many blessings. I know I'm hoping for a better one. I would appreciate your prayers for my family that they remain safe from the coronavirus. So far so good. Thank you and enjoy your celebration !

Nellie said...

Wishing you all good things and a sweet year ahead!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Shana tova, Carol. Thank you for remembering us all in your prayers.

Edna B said...

I'm wishing you a wonderful new year filled with good health and happiness. Hugs, Edna B.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Shanah Tovah to you Carol and your friends and I wish you all the best new year possible. Glad to read that you will be celebrating together as so many holidays will be very different this year.

Susan said...

Shana Tova to you too. I hope you had a special time with your friends. I was on a Christian group and we had apples with honey, prayed and then they played the sound of a Shofar. Praying we have an end to Covid.

Lowcarb team member said...

Wishing you peace, good health and happiness too.

All the best Jan

Deanna Rabe said...

Shana Tova!

I didn’t realize that this was the traditional date of the creation of Adam and Eve! Thank you for sharing that!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

There are so many changes in celebrations thi year, but good that you will were able to gather with friends and welcome the New YEar.