Powered by Blogger.

Happy Mother's Day



“All that I am or ever hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.” 
Abraham Lincoln

One of the benefits of this time I've spent at home is the opportunity to work on projects I've been meaning to do since I retired almost seven years ago. I haven't gotten to the toughest projects, like cleaning out my closets, but I have gotten a good handle on organizing decades of photographs. I started with the travel pictures and then yesterday I went through most of the family photographs. My goal was to find this picture and any other pictures of my mother and me. I was happy to locate this picture, taken for either Mother's Day 1952 or for my second birthday that summer. Sadly, there were very few other pictures of the two of us, but I was gladly to find several other pictures that  I will be putting together for a framed collage. 

Not a day goes by that I don't think of my mother. She died in 1990, but her presence is always with me. She's been in my thoughts even more often during the last few months. At moments when I'm troubled, I think what would my mother do? She wasn't especially sympathetic to complaining or the idea of boredom. In this time she'd be cooking, baking -- she was a fabulous baker and never saw a recipe that looked too difficult. She would be reading, knitting and talking to friends and family on the phone daily. I know she would have enjoyed streaming movies and television shows and learned to use Zoom as well. I can hear her advising me, her often too impatient daughter, to take advantage of the time. She wouldn't have minimized the illness and job losses, but her advice to me would be to use these precious days well. Of course, she would be right, as usual.  

As always, I say thank you to my mother and wish all of Buttercupland, near and far, a very happy and healthy Mother's Day. Enjoy this precious day. We will only be given May 10, 2020 once and that once is now.  

As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care. Much love, today and every day!

19 comments

Ginny Hartzler said...

What a wonderful photo, so full of joy and beauty! Your Mom sounds so special. This post is a wonderful tribute to her!

Dorothy In PA said...

What a lovely photo. What a special moment you shared.

My mother is gone also and I too carry her along with me.

Happy Mothers Day to you and your readers in honor of mothers past and present.

Carol said...

What a lovely photograph and post. I think we all could use a piece of your Mom's advice about taking advantage of this time in our lives and doing something useful.

Happy Mother's Day!

Lynda said...

Excellent advice - - and from your mother! They have influence on our lives forever it seems.
I have 'flitted' between frustrated and readjusting my attitude but have also used the time to good advantage and have sorted and organized bunches of stuff but don't have the photos done yet. I still have to get to them - - - but had to get semblance of order of other stuff in that "craft" room first.
The picture of you two is beautiful - - you are both beautiful! The pictures that were made like that in the fifties that were mostly black and white with a touch of color have really withstood the test of time. I have seen a couple of them in our family photos of my mom.
Enjoy your day and we look forward to hearing about it tomorrow!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

What great memories of your mother and a beautiful picture of the two of you. Nice to have those good words of advice to hang on to too.

JFM said...

A beautiful tribute to your mom.
Happy Mother's Day 🌷 🌞

Gloria said...

I love the picture of you and your angel mother!
I have a picture and my angel mother and even talk
to it from time to time. I miss her so much.
Happy Sunday!

Chatty Crone said...

YOU HAD A WONDERFUL MOTHER TOO.
HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY - COVID 19 STYLE - WHAT EVER WAY IT IS! ☺
LOVE, SANDIE♥

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

This was indeed a wonderful tribute to your mom, Buttercup. She sounds like she would have made the best of this current situation and moved forward. And, it seems that you are following her advice through what you've been doing in this time of shut-down. Like yourself, I could not locate many photos of myself with my late mother. it was great to see the one you posted here.

Mevely317 said...

Mother's Day notwithstanding, I have also had my mother on my mind amid these difficult days. Not only a beauty, your mother's strength of character is certainly admirable. Thank you for sharing this glimpse of the Lady who shaped my friend.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Sounds like you were blessed with a wonderful mother! Thank you for this lovely post. I love, love, love that photo of you and your mom. :-)

LC said...

I admire your tenacity in following your mother's example by using your time in a way that brings you precious moments and honors her memory. A perfect way to celebrate Mother's Day!

NanaDiana said...

What nice words about your mom and to think of her every day. i think of my dad just about everyday and he died when I was 21. I am glad you are getting your photos sorted and taken care of. We don't print out the photos now like we did years ago. So much is in our computers, etc. I went thru my pictures about 8 years ago but need to do it again.
I have been working on closets though and that feels really good! xo Diana

TARYTERRE said...

a lovely tribute to your mom. have a wonderful day.

Melinda said...

One day I hope to look at Mother's
Day as you do. It is such a tough
day for both Mr. Ken and I.

Love this picture.

When you organize your photos what are
you putting them in to preserve them.
I have so many falling out of books
I'm afraid they will get damaged.

Enjoy your day.

M : )

Lowcarb team member said...

Such a lovely photograph and a most beautiful tribute to your mom.
Happy Mother's Day Wishes.

All the best Jan

Kerin said...

That is a darling picture of the two of you.
How precious!
Sounds like your mom was a wise and wonderful woman and that she instilled in you an appreciation of everyday joys.

Smiles :)
~K.

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

This was such a great post. You mom sounds a lot like mine. Sad to say they both died around the same time. The only difference, I think, was my mom wouldn't be knitting and she probably wouldn't be using a computer now, but good and loving advice would be her strong suite. She was an avid reader and I think of her often, especially in these days. Stay safe and well and we will carry on..xxoJudy

Laurel Wood said...

PRECIOUS PHOTO OF YOU AND YOUR MOM. GLAD YOU HAD AN OPPORTUNITY TO ORGANIZE YOUR PICTURES. IT'S BEEN COOL IN GEORGIA, BUT TODAY IS QUITE WARM. WISHING YOU A VERY NICE AFTERNOON. MILDRED