Powered by Blogger.

The Road to Glendalough

On the road to Glendalough

As I was looking for a photo yesterday to post for St. Patrick's Day I found a number of pictures from my visit to Ireland last June that I hadn't shared. I thought I had well documented the trip, but it doesn't look like I shared one picture in Buttercupland. Betsy and I had spent four days in Dublin, sightseeing, walking many miles and enjoying fiddle music and fish and chips. It was a wonderful visit and I was grateful for the opportunity then and even more grateful now.

On our last day before flying home we made separate plans before meeting up for dinner. As I had been to Dublin before -- I'm firmly convinced that I cannot get to Dublin too many times -- I decided to see a little of the Irish countryside. One of my stops was the Shrine of St. Kevin in County Wicklow.

Glendalough, the Glen of Two Lakes, is the site of the monastery of St. Kevin, one of the main pilgrimage sites in Ireland. St. Kevin originally came to this beautiful site to live a hermit's life in the sixth century. His only companions were the birds and animals. His piety became well known and eventually a settlement was started on the lakeside. In time a seminary of scholars grew from the settlement. Today it's a national park and though it's less than two hours from Dublin it is still a beautiful and serene place to visit.

On the right is the Round Tower of Glendalough and the beautiful Irish wild roses. 

In the other photographs the sky is very dark, but this much better reflects the day.

One of the entry ways to the site. More wild roses and not pictured, a lone piper playing.  

Glendalough feels very far away, not just in distance, but in spirit. St. Kevin was called to a hermit's life and entered it by choice. The great majority of us we have taken up a hermit's life suddenly and not by our choosing. I am not making light of the many hardships and tragedies so many people will face, but the Irish monks are an example of fortitude during some of the darkest times in world history. May we all find the fortitude and grace to live our finest hours.

As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care of yourselves. Much love and wash your hands! 

13 comments

Ginny Hartzler said...

I am so glad you will be sharing your photos of Ireland! I have always wanted to go there. These are both stunning and peaceful. I did not know about St. Kevin, so also learned a lot! The second picture is my favorite.

Linda M. Conley said...

I remembered you went, but, no, I don't think you shared photos, grin. I am glad you are. Sending Pepe and friends fist pumps, grin. P.S. I'm not going private, just cautious right now. smiles

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

What a beautiful magical place, Carol. I am second generation Irish and I never had an opportunity to visit the “Old Sod”. My sister and brother and I twice gave our parents a trip to Ireland to visit the country and see relatives and they loved it.

I loved your sentence, “May we find the fortitude and grace to live our finest hour.” Beautifully said and something I will remember.

Chatty Crone said...

Thank you for sharing - gorgeous!

Lowcarb team member said...

Such a nice post, what lovely photographs :)

All the best Jan

Carol said...

Such a wonderful trip through part of Ireland that we were able to take with these photos. Being inside and it raining and cold is not doing well with my depression this year.

Debbie said...

what a beautiful "green" place, i have always wanted to visit!! the countryside is beautiful and the tower so magical!! your images are really pretty!!

TARYTERRE said...

inspirational words and wonderful photos for the tough time all of us are facing.

Hootin Anni said...

I can certainly see myself being a hermit & living my life in solitude with nothing but birds surrounding me with song. Oh the joy! Beautiful images & I'm thankful you shared.

Theresa said...

Oh the beauty! Visiting thru your photos and enjoying it! Have a blessed day dear friend, stay safe! HUGS!

JFM said...

Such a beautiful and magical post.
Thank you for helping to share with us the beauty and calmness in our world ❤

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

That is such a great picture for St. Patrick's Day. The countryside wearing the Green. Yes, we are becoming hermits and keeping our fortitude up will see us through.Thanks for bringing a bright spot into my dull and rainy day!

Rose said...

Beautiful! I especially love that last...I LOVE anything built of rocks.