Powered by Blogger.

Eureka!

I struck gold!

I looked up "eureka" before I started writing this post. There were several events cited. The first and most prominent was the Greek mathematician, Archimedes, shouting eureka when he stepped into the bath and realized the amount of water displaced was equal to the volume of the part of his body that was submerged. The second and equally well known event is the discovery of gold at Sutter's Mill in California in 1848, and the beginning of the Gold Rush.

I am adding another event, not so well known, but just as exciting to me. It's the (re)discovery of hand sanitizer, antibacterial hand wipes and a horde of soap.The sanitizers and the wipes are of recent vintage, but the soap collection appears to go back at least twenty-five years.

As anyone who has ever traveled with me knows, I am a collector of hotel bathroom goodies. One of my first discoveries when I check into a hotel is to see what treasures are stocked in the bathroom. Most of my souvenirs became contributions to charity drives over the years, but this group was in the bottom drawer of one of my bedside nightstands. I had tucked them away, in some cases, decades ago, and they were ready for these black swan days. 

The two bars, top and bottom right of the photograph, were from a trip to Israel in, I believe, 1993. There was definitely a trip to Chicago and a stay at The Drake Hotel and a stay at a Hyatt Hotel, though I can't remember which one.  I've also got bars of soap and liquid soap, so I'm totally prepared for the requisite hand washing. I never would have imagined that my fascination with tiny soaps that began with Camay in the late 1950s would have become a full-fledged vintage soap collection, or have me prepared for a pandemic.

Today was genuinely a busy day. Every organization of which I am a part has discovered Zoom, a video conference site, and I "attended" my regular Weight Watchers meeting and my synagogue study group, actually on the day it was scheduled. It was great to see and connect with my friends in both groups. Tomorrow I'd like to "drop in" at another Weight Watchers group where my friend Annie is the leader, visit a meditation group in the afternoon and conclude the day with a live feed with friends in Costa Rica. I've begun to use my calendar again to keep track of all the events going on. Is anyone else using Zoom?

Tomorrow is book day. Please stop by and see what I'm reading and share what you're reading. 

As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care of yourself. Much love and wash your hands! If you need soap, let me know.   

16 comments

Ginny Hartzler said...

What a nice stash. I bet it smells lovely. I remember Camay, it smelled so good! Our church is using ZOOM, isn't it cool?

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

I love those complimentary toiletries from hotels and always collected them. We have not traveled in the past year so I have no supply left. I am hoping that I have enough liquid soap to get me through the next several months as it is something that is in short supply at the store now.

Technology is a blessing during this difficult and scary time.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mxtodis123 said...

What a great find. Couldn't come at a better time. I've got lots of homemade soaps left over from Christmas gifts. Over ordered. Just wish I could find some hand sanitizer. Ordered some from Etsy, but turned out they have Witch Hazel rather than alcohol in them. I imagine I can mix some alcohol in there.

Theresa said...

I do that too and use many of those collected items throughout the year. A lady at Church was collecting soaps/shampoos etc. for the homeless during Christmas, I donated a bunch. I love the little individual make-up pads from hotels and just used one yesterday. Enjoy your day dear friend, stay safe up there! HUGS!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

You have a nice collection that will certainly be helpful if needed. At one time, I saved used shampoo from places we stayed, but now simply bring my own and never use those provided. My husband has been talking about Zoom and he has used it. We may consider it for a neighbors get together in the mill apts where we kive. Yes, washing hands long and often. Stay well.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

What a great idea! I also thought about gathering up my hand cleaners today. I have them in the places I need them but know I have a few more in my 'stash'! Love the Zoom idea! I'll check it out! Hugs!

Linda M. Conley said...

Indeed, eureka! smiles

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Now you know just why you saved all that stash. You won't need any thing for washing hands for quite awhile. Nice you cn remember where they came from. almost like going on a trip all over again. Eureka! I have enough to last me for quite a while too, but not from trips, unless you count trips to Bath and Body.

Julie's Creative Lifestyle said...

We too enjoy collecting items from hotel bathrooms and I love the little soaps. I have been washing my hands like crazy here. My daughter is home from college taking her classes online with Zoom! We are practicing social distance too. I hope you stay safe and be well.

peggy said...

We all have red hands from all the scrubbing. My friend said they couldn't find any soap at the store so guess it is good that we have a soap "fetish".

JFM said...

Wonderful little treasures and worth more than ever in this time of shortages caused by this pandemic and hoarding..enjoy :)

DeniseinVA said...

Very interesting post and an enjoyable read. Enjoyed looking at your find. I like the combination of colors :) Fortunately, we bought a large packet of soap from Costco way before we knew we would be told to shelter in place. We're okay for a while. I guess I have a thing about soaps, as I sometimes buy a special bar just to put in my clothes drawer. Makes everything smell so nice. I don't have a strong sense of smell but I love to sniff my smelly soaps, and I might smell like a soap factory to everyone else, lol! You take good care of yourself too :)

Chatty Crone said...

Glad you have some products.
My daughter is learning Zoom as we speak for her teaching! lol Hear a lot of trouble there. lol

Janie Junebug said...

My favorite hotel soap came from Disneyland and Disney World hotels. Mickey was on the soap.

Love,
Janie

ScrappyShe said...

Trish always collected hotel goodies for her son.
I always kept the little shower caps for my lovely mum in law.
Keep safe and well my dear friend

Hugs

Sheilagh xx