Powered by Blogger.

(Another) Pink and Blue Saturday for 4ocean

Thanks, Pat, for my beautiful 4ocean bracelet!

My 4ocean bracelet is blue, but the beautiful card that accompanied it is pink and that's what inspired another Pink (and Blue) Saturday post. 

In just a week New York joins the other states and cities where plastic bags won't be given with a purchase. I generally carry my own tote bag and an extra shopping bag, too, but there are times when I make unanticipated stops. I reuse plastic bags for trash bags, but I'm sure over the years I've contributed to the waste that's filling our rivers and beaches.  Because of the all of the information that's been given out about this change I've been thinking about ways I can do more to help keep waterways and oceans clean. 

4ocean has been doing just that. Each bracelet that's bought provides for pulling a pound of trash from the ocean The profits go towards cleanup operations and donations to ocean-related non-profits. Their work is in Bali, Haiti and Florida and about to start working in Guatemala. Over eight million pounds of ocean plastic have been recovered since 2017. I found the website fascinating and discovered events in Florida that look great. The next one is Sea Turtle Day on March 7, in Boca Raton, FL. 

Again, dear Pat, thanks for my bracelet and thanks for introducing me to 4ocean. I definitely see  birthday and graduation presents in the future to help save our seas. 

Great sunny almost spring day in New York City today. I walked to the library to pick up my reserve books and then back home. On the way home I stopped at the fruit stand and did a quick errand at the drugstore. It wasn't exciting, but relaxing and productive. How did you spend Saturday?

As ever, thanks for visiting and take good care. 

12 comments

Ginny Hartzler said...

I always learn so much here. I did not know any of this! I have not heard anything about the plastic bags in our state, so am assuming we will still be using them here. What a great cause! And the card is gorgeous; I have never seen one like it.

Theresa said...

Love the pink and blue! Your bracelet is so pretty and it is a great cause to keep the ocean clean. Enjoy your Sunday dear friend, HUGS!

Karen said...

PINK IS MY FAVORITE COLOR. HOPE YOU HAVE A BEAUTIFUL WEEK.

Carol said...

A beautiful card and such a cute bracelet. I will have to look at that site and see what it is all about. Our Saturday was busy with work and a little fun as we went to dinner with some friends.

snaphappy6 said...

Going to look this organization up. Thanks for sharing.

How did I spend my Saturday ...at a car dealership. Oldest son had his car stolen 2 weeks ago , was recovered last Saturday evening, was deemed totaled this past Wednesday..... oy!

TARYTERRE said...

love your bracelet. looks like a worthwhile organization.

Linda said...

The plastic ban has already been in use here in Hornell since like Jan.1, a full 3 months ahead of time. I have stockpiled plastic bags to carry the meat/vegetable products. smiles

Have a great day friend.

Visits With Mary said...

That is a beautiful card! Very seldom you'll find me without a bracelet, I love them and I love yours! What a great cause. I also use plastic bags for my small trash but would gladly give them up to help the environment.

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

That is a beautiful bracelet and such a good cause. I try to remember to carry my bags with me to the store. We have to do our part to clean up our world. It is so disheartening to hear the garbage that comes out from our current government. Have a wonderful weekend..xxoJudy

Louca por porcelana said...

Have a lovely week ahead !Blessings!

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

The card and bracelet are lovely.

I always try to remember to take my bags with me when I go shopping, but, like you, there are times that I forget. California, where my daughter lives, has has the no plastic bag policy for a few years and I would imagine it took some time for everybody to get used to it. It is hard to break habits but we must.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

A lovely gift and all for a good cause as well. We always bring our own bags when grocery shopping and it seems that more and more people are doing that. The 3 grocery stores here in Nashua, NH, do give plastic bags. we always keep spare bags in our car when traveling. My Saturday was spent doing household chores.