Powered by Blogger.

Denim or Not Denim? That is the Question

It's not as profound as "to be or not to be", but it's our question of the day. 
 
From time to time friends ask me where I get my ideas for blog posts. I often wonder myself. But even after ten years of blogging new ideas pop into my mind. Sometimes they seem obvious -- like coffee, books and travel, or happening in my life. But others the universe just seems to present to me. Today's post on blue jeans is a gift from the universe. 
 
A few days ago my friend Jennifer in Oklahoma posted a picture of her denim collection accompanied by the question, "How many pairs of jeans do you own?" For many years, decades even, jeans had been the mainstay of my wardrobe and I had any number in different colors. But I realized now I have two pairs and they weren't well worn. Actually, I can't remember the last time I wore a pair of blue or black or white jeans. After I retired I started to be super casual and found the joys of leggings and now I have half a dozen leggings that are well worn. I didn't even realize that the jeans I'd loved for years were now pushed to the back of my closet. 
 
My reflections on my jean wearing were interesting, but I hadn't thought of writing about jeans until yesterday. One of my morning emails shared the information that on May 20, 1873 Levi Strauss and Jacob Davis had received a United States patent for blue denim pants with copper rivets, what we would come to know as Levis. This was my sign from the universe.
 
My question of the day, dear friends, is how many pairs of jeans do you own? Do you denim or not denim? To be totally accurate, I have two pairs of denim jeans and my favorite pair of leggings is in a denim stretch material. I'm still wearing jeans, but a much more comfortable version.  
 
It was summer and 88 degrees on Monday and a balmier 75 today in New York. Unlike our friends in Colorado and Wyoming, we're really having spring days here and I am loving it. 
 
As ever, thanks for visiting and have a wonderful Wednesday!   

10 comments

Linda said...

I DO denim!! No telling how many pairs of jeans I have because I have an entire closet of denim! Everything from tops to jeans to skirts to jackets to jumpers - I love denim!

Denise said...

I have never owned a pair of jeans!!! And never would. I wear mostly light weight knit slacks and pants. And leggings need to be covered with long tops, IMO.

Theresa said...

I have many colors of jeans, black, blue, pink, yellow... and many more. BUT... I also wear lots of leggings with sandals in the Spring/Summer. Enjoy your day dear friend, HUGS!

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

There are three that I wear, and quite a few more that just hang in my closet, because, like you, I like the softness of leggings more.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I rarely wear jeans. Even in the winter months we can wear capris a lot. But I DO love my Levi jean capris! I have one pair that are rolled up a little and they are my favs! Fun post! We had a Levi plant in the little Arkansas town I grew up in where ladies sewed jeans!

Anonymous said...

I only wear one pair of black jeans, but I wear them regularly. They were actually given to me by my younger brother Bruce the last time I saw him before he died. I think the two pairs of blue jeans I own are two big for me now!

Are you aware of the story about how denim jeans were responsible for the fall of the Berlin wall and the breakup of the Soviet Union?

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

I have a few pairs of jeans, and I love them. Denim can be dressed up or down, too.

Mevely317 said...

Until recently, I only owned two pair of jeans … and hated them both. Because my hips are more than 11" wider than my waist (TMI?) I could never find a good fit.
Fitting rooms? Forget about it … color me depressed. ANYway, I finally discovered jeggings (I think that's what they're called) and 'Amanda' by Gloria V. from ThredUp and I love 'em.

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

I am constantly editing my jean collection....and I am always trying to find that perfect fit. I am 5'11" and although I know it is "model height" - it is so difficult to find jeans that are long enough urgggg It has been a struggle my whole life.

Chatty Crone said...

I have all colors of bluejeans and black ones - they are park of my grandma uniform with a tee shirt! sandie♥