Powered by Blogger.

Pink Saturday Goes to the Autumn Farmer's Market

 
It's finally fall, and I am so excited.
 
Summer seemed as though it was going to last forever and last week we got a quick taste of early winter, but happily today was a true fall day.  I had planned a quiet relaxing weekend, but out of town visitors and last minute plans to spend time with close friends, made it less quiet. I found myself running around Manhattan -- and my running around included a trip to the Farmer's Market at Columbia University.
 
  There was a wonderful apple selection, including this assortment from Samascott Orchards in Kinderhook, NY, in Columbia County. I was pleased to find my favorite variety, the tart and tasty Macoun.
 
After buying a few apples, I noticed the pie section, especially the big cherry pie in the right corner. I was tempted, very tempted. But I've had lots of indulgences during October, especially during my visit to Tennessee. It took a lot of will power to resist the call of the cherry pie, but somehow I did. I think it would be a great choice to bring to Thanksgiving dinner. I'm not sure, however, that I could buy it earlier in the week and that it would still be whole by Thursday, especially if there just happened to be vanilla ice cream in the freezer. 
 
 It wasn't just pies that caught my attention. Two Guys from Woodbridge had some of the nicest produce I've seen in a long time. The assorted lettuce and herbs are grown in Hamden, CT, a suburb of New Haven. I commented to the young woman who was working at the stand that it wasn't farm country. She explained that the produce is grown in green houses without soil, or hydroponically. In a relatively small space a lot can be grown. I spent some time tonight exploring the website and was fascinated by the hydroponic process. Everything grown there is organic, too. Connecticut friends, you can find produce from Two Guys from Woodbridge in Guilford, Fairfield, New Haven and Hamden. 
 
   I enjoyed seeing the one of the green houses in Hamden.
 
Three busy days ahead and then my last adventure out of town -- that's planned! -- for 2018. I've got the usual collection of errands, yoga and my Weight Watchers meeting. My schedule also includes voting on Tuesday. It's a right, a privilege and a responsibility and I have missed very few opportunities to vote in the last 46 years.
 
As ever, thanks for visiting. Happy to link up with some of my favorite blog friends at Pink Saturday. Wishes to all for happy autumn days. 

6 comments

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

Farmer’s Markets are such fun. I don’t think that I could have left there without a pie.

Theresa said...

I love Farmer's Markets, would love to have some of those apples:) Enjoy your day dear Carol, HUGS!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Farmers markets are wonderful. I love apples,cider and squash. I will miss them in the days during winter but look forward to the coming summer. Everything fresh seems to taste to much better ! Happy Autumn days to you too!

Curtains in My Tree said...


We have a small farmers market here and I always enjoy going to it , I would love to visit a larger one

Susie said...

You do keep busy Carol. I love the market place. I enjoy apple season so much. I will be glad to vote ...if only to end this craziness of TV ads. Wow what a waste of good money. LOL. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

Anne Payne said...

We grew a few vegetables hydroponically in our greenhouse when we lived in NC. Lettuce is super to grow that way and delicious all year long. I do miss some things about farm life :)

My son was supposed to go see Critical Role Live at the Palace Theater (?)in Washington Heights back in Oct but due to car problems, wasn't able to attend. I was so nervous about him taking the trip on his own. None of us have ever been to NYC. We're just country folk. ;) I should have contacted you to ask about places to park etc, and then maybe I wouldn't have been!